Found This Question On Yelp...

Decorating By silverdragon997 Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 6:33pm by lynmn2

silverdragon997 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:52am
post #1 of 9

I have Google Alerts set up for my area. I received an alert, and the link was to a conversation on Yelp:

"I'm looking for a good, but cheap custom cake shop. Everything around the area seems really pricey! Any ideas? I want to get a birthday cake for my boyfriend!"

I had to respond. I left a message saying that custom cakes are pricey because they are CUSTOM.

Geez. It's probably some teenager or something, but really?

8 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:55am
post #2 of 9

Awesome response!

But hey, since you mentioned it, what alert did you put in to be notified about that topic? Do you mind sharing? I have alerts set up for my name, business name etc but never though about using it to prospect for business like that!

Thanks for sharing!

Jen

Chala86 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:06am
post #3 of 9

Non bakers just don't get how expensive it is to make a custom cake. The ingredients, extra equipment, overheads, time etc. There's obviously a reason that everything is 'pricey' - maybe that people can't make a custom cake for nothing.

cake_architect Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:57am
post #4 of 9

yay go you! people need to be educated lol

silverdragon997 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 9

I have Google Alerts set up for when people search for things like birthday cakes, wedding cakes, custom cakes, etc, in my area. Usually they come up with alerts that don't do me any good, but sometimes it ends up pointing out other bakeries in the Los Angeles area that I wasn't aware of, which I like.

indydebi Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 9

I think part of the cake civilian confusion is that grocery store bakeries offer a "custom" cake .... I guess that means you can customize the cake to have whatever NAME you want on it!!! I swear I've looked and looked at the big 'ole chart at Sam's Club bakery and tried to figure out the "custom" part of their "custom" cakes and I just can't get it.

But cake civilians have been conditioned to think "oh they can pull a cake out of the freezer and "customize it" with any phrase or name I want! cool!" icon_razz.gif

Custom. ri-i-i-i-iight. icon_cool.gif

Chala86 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I think part of the cake civilian confusion is that grocery store bakeries offer a "custom" cake .... I guess that means you can customize the cake to have whatever NAME you want on it!!! I swear I've looked and looked at the big 'ole chart at Sam's Club bakery and tried to figure out the "custom" part of their "custom" cakes and I just can't get it.

But cake civilians have been conditioned to think "oh they can pull a cake out of the freezer and "customize it" with any phrase or name I want! cool!" icon_razz.gif

Couldn't have put it any better myself. You've hit the proverbial nail on the head.

mayo2222 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Come on Debi, lets be fair....I think they can pick the color of frosting the phrase or name comes in as well icon_smile.gif

lynmn2 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 9

I concur with all that's been said! I had a promotional deal for custom cakes (50% off) for the people in my neighborhood only and this lady wanted a 12x18 vegan chocolate cake with a disney princess theme. The normal cost is $120 and I told her the discount price was $60 and she still freaked out saying it was expensive (OH MY!). I wish they would try their hand and trying to decorate a cake - then they would realize why the price is as it is...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%