A Bit Shy On Sour Cream For Wasc - What To Do?

Decorating By nursingnellie Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 5:19pm by nursingnellie

nursingnellie Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:16am
post #1 of 8

This is my first big project in months, so I very carefully listed and bought everything I needed - forgetting that I needed to make two recipes of WASC! I finished one and the cake is cooling, now I want to make the second and I (luckily) have everything else, but I am short on sour cream. The recipe calls for 16 oz, I think I have about 13. What do I do? I could wait until morning (it's midnight now) and run out to get more, then bake it as early as possible..but then the BC dam won't have time to settle if I need to wait for it to cool, then dam and fill. (This is a yellow cake with blueberry filling, to be covered in MMF.) (And btw, it's for tomorrow night. Eeek.) Is there something I can toss in to make up for the lost 3 oz?

7 replies
UpAt2am Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:38am
post #2 of 8

the sour cream helps make up the fat that the recipe takes out of the typical amount of veg. oil that's on the box. so if you have 13 oz. of sour cream, i'd add 1-2 tbsp. more of veg. oil and you should be fine!!! i wouldn't stress too much over the 3 oz. missing. i've been shy, or added too much, here and there, and it doesn't make a difference (at least that i can tell!)

Coral3 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:43am
post #3 of 8

Or you could use full cream natural (unflavoured) yoghurt to make up the difference, if you have any.

Renaejrk Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:10am
post #4 of 8

I have used vanilla yogurt (or you could use any flavor that doesn't clash) in place of sour cream. You might even be able to use mayo.

Normita Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:34am
post #5 of 8

I have sometimes been short too and have not noticed any difference. Maybe try what upat2am suggests...adding some vegetable oil. But I have did it without adding the extra oil and I have had no problems icon_smile.gif

jo3d33 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:58am
post #6 of 8

I have been short a few times too. I have done both, just leave it out or use plain/vanilla yogurt. Good luck

CakeCrystals Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 8

I agree, use yogurt if you have it and if not, use extra veg oil. You can't go wrong and the moistness of your cake will not suffer.

nursingnellie Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks all! I did add a wee bit more veg oil, as I did not have any yogurt that wasn't fruity kids stuff - though that might have added an interesting depth of flavor! The cake turned out just fine - nice and moist, and tastes yummy! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%