Cooling A Large Cake (Sheet)

Decorating By maitej17 Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 12:25am by CWR41

maitej17 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:28am
post #1 of 8

How do I cool a large cake. I was making a sheet cake (11 x 15) and since my cooling racks aren't that big, I decided to use a cake board, well, I let it cool for quite some time and as I flipped it over on another cake board and removed the top cake board (the one I hand originally put it on to cool) the cake board pulled off almost half of the top layer of my cake off. My plans were to torte this sheet and add filling (as per requested) but with that area being in pieces I don't even know what I'm going to do. So if anyone has any suggestions for:
1. future cooling of big cakes
2. how do I torte this thing if the middle is chunks about 1/2 into the cake?

I really don't want to start over again since it took a lot of materials to make and money these days isn't falling off of the trees for me.
Any suggestions would be REALLY helpful!
Thanks in advance!
Maite

7 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:50am
post #2 of 8

You could continue to cool the cakes the same way, but next time when you flip it onto a cake board, put down a sheet of parchment or wax paper. That way when you flip it back over, you can carefully peel off the paper.

About your current cake, is there anyway you could make the "chunks" portion the bottom layer? icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:47am
post #3 of 8

If you're going to bake bigger cakes, get the tools needed to do the job right. Pick up some 16x24 cooling racks. Get AT LEAST 2. I have 4 of them. These will not only hold the larger cakes but will hold multiple smaller cakes at one time.

You wouldn't try to build a wooden table with nails but no hammer; you wouldn't try to sew with a needle but no thread; you shouldn't try to bake a large cake without the right size racks to hold the cakes.

You can't do a job right with only half the right tools. If you buy a 11x15 pan, you should not walk out of the store without the proper size racks to hold a cake that size. thumbs_up.gif

j0z1e Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:53am
post #4 of 8

maitej17: I'm not a professional or anything so I have no idea if this would be a viable option, but I wonder if you could mix up the cake that came off with a tiny bit of frosting and try to repair some of the missing bits? Or if it's still in large enough chunks maybe you can just try to fit them back in as best you can and then like Rose_N_Crantz said, use that side for the bottom. It's not always a bad thing to try new ways of doing stuff, and sometimes you end up finding out better methods.

Sometimes you just have to learn from the mistakes though, I know I sure have. All of us have had times when we tried to make do and it just didn't turn out as planned, don't beat yourself up too much! I hope you're able to save it, I also hate the feeling that I've wasted money but maybe you can still make cake balls if you do have to start over. Good Luck!!!

PS. I love that snowglobe cake you did, my gram adores snowglobes so I might have to attempt one for her sometime ^_^

maitej17 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 8

Hey Ladies,

Thanks so much for your advice! I was actually able to save it and I was even able to torte it. I thought it was going to be disaster, since the bottom was into pieces. But luckily I torted right above the mess and was able to get a nice clean cut through and fill it w/out any trouble.
Indydebi, you're absolutely right about getting the right tools. I honestly had never seen a bigger rack in the craft stores I buy my pans at, but would you believe it, the other day, after I had completed this craziness of this cake, I found a nice big cooling rack? I think if you wouldn't have suggested it, I would have never bothered to look, but there it was and of course I picked it up so I wouldn't have to deal w/this issue every again!
When I baked my round 14inch a few months back I had no problems w/it cooling on a cake circle, but after this crazy experience I am glad I found the bigger rack.
Again thanks for everyone's advice!

Chasey Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 8

I've read the suggestion of using your oven racks to cool large cakes. Works if you are done with the oven! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:03am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

I've read the suggestion of using your oven racks to cool large cakes. Works if you are done with the oven! icon_biggrin.gif

careful using oven or old refrigerator racks if the wiring is kinda far apart because a warm cake will fall thru the spaces. I only use cooling racks that have wiring running in both directions, creating a grid of small squares that hold the cakes in place.

I used to use refrigerator racks ..... but nto anymore.

CWR41 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:25am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by maitej17

I decided to use a cake board, well, I let it cool for quite some time and as I flipped it over on another cake board and removed the top cake board (the one I hand originally put it on to cool) the cake board pulled off almost half of the top layer of my cake off.

The top layer of your cake wouldn't have stuck to the board if you had flipped it back over onto another board immediately after dumping it out of the pan. The sticky top will stick, but the greased bottom won't.

If you let them cool right side up, it also prevents cakes from cracking in half if they are cooling upside down on possible risen humps instead of on their flat bottoms.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%