How Would You Do It?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 3:25am by CiNoRi

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:33am
post #1 of 10

Hi all!

A while back I made this wolf sculpture, and I recently had a few requests for a couple more versions of this cake. When I i first made him, 5-6 days after- I thought he had dried well enough, but the candle arm fell. I thought I had supported his arm well enough with a wire... but maybe im doing something wrong. I dont want to run into another problem this time... so im hoping you all can give me some better pointers!

I guess to start from scratch... how would YOU go about making him?

Much thanks!

9 replies
churos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
churos Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:46am
post #2 of 10

Can someone please help me. I need to know how to make a designer bag.... especially how I do the prints to give the bag the brand name look?

CiNoRi Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:23am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by churos

Can someone please help me. I need to know how to make a designer bag.... especially how I do the prints to give the bag the brand name look?

You might want to ask your question in a new post, in the "how to " forum.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:32am
post #4 of 10

CiNoRi, maybe you should do it like the big boys do (I'm thinking of Duff Goldman, who LOVES to put together frameworks from refrigerator tubing or heavy wire that's been soldered together). That would keep the arm from falling off, although sometimes he has trouble with keeping the RKTs or modeling chocolate or whatever on the frame. How big is this dude? You did a really great job on him!

CiNoRi Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:37am
post #5 of 10

The Wolf isn't that big... he is On top of a 6 inch round. I guess I'm not sure how to do the skeleton, and/or how to attach arm to the body.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:16am
post #6 of 10

I've not gotten this far with my 3D's. (Your Wolf Pack Wolf looks awesome)

I am wondering how modeling chocolate on top of the wire support would work.

Wire, Modeling chocolate, and then cover in fondant?

Just a thought...

Good Luck!

tokazodo
(OBX)

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:34am
post #7 of 10

You could always try a lower guage wire (the lower the number, the thicker the wire). Was the wire attached to the body anywhere? If not, you could try a smaller diameter PVC pipe (maybe 1/2" or so), drill a hole through it and run your thick guage wire (maybe a 16?) through it to secure the arm. You could move the wire around to adjust the arm, but it should keep the arm up in the air. Give it a try!

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:00am
post #8 of 10

I would use a toothpick vs. wire. I would make the arm, put in the toothpick while still wet, then let dry. Then it could be attached (make sure you made a coordinating hole in his torso, and it could be attached with gumpaste glue (I'm not sure what you made him out of but that's what I would use) or melted chocolate. Then make the seam that goes over where it attached. He looks awesome, though!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:20am
post #9 of 10

I agree with Bskinne... use a toothpick

CiNoRi Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:25am
post #10 of 10

I did use gumpaste, I used a wire because of the bend in his arm and I was also worried about the weight of the candle. But if you think a toothpick is good enough, ill try that this time! I appriciate your feedback!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%