Freezing Cake Batter???

Decorating By kearniesue Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 2:06am by kearniesue

kearniesue Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:00am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

Does anyone freeze left over cake batter, or do you have to bake the cake first? I'd rather not bake it if I don't have to - I don't know what size I'll need.

6 replies
newcaker1314 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:58am
post #2 of 7

I would just refrigerate it personally. Not sure how well it would defrost after freezing or if the consistency would go off

Goonergirl Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:14am
post #3 of 7

I freeze batter ALL the time. Just put it in a freezer bag and mark what it is. Thaw it out when you need it. I even add it to fresh batter with great results. Once or twice I've frozen it in a cake pan. Works good that way too.

GenGen Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:17am
post #4 of 7

can you do this with cake batter from scratch??

MimiFix Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:19am
post #5 of 7

Hi Karen,

Most cake recipes using chemical leaveners (baking soda and baking powder) can be refrigerated or frozen; but every recipe is different so it's best to try small amounts before freezing quantity. A refrigerated batter can be used straight from the fridge while frozen batters should be thawed in the fridge.

icer101 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:30am
post #6 of 7

Indydebi does it all the time. Scratch bakers and enhanced box bakers do it all the time. There are several other threads on this, that is how i know. hth

kearniesue Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:06am
post #7 of 7

Ok, thanks everyone. I've frozen baked cakes before, but never batter. Now I know... icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%