Blue Velvet Cake ?????

Baking By therese379 Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 6:20pm by Foxicakes

therese379 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 21

anyone made a blue velvet cake??? if so... can I have to recipe icon_wink.gif thanks therese

20 replies
mimido Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 21

Paula Deen made a blue velvet cake, try foodnetwork and look under Paula deen. Ive never made one, but would be curious as to how it taste.

paula0712 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 21

I had heard of Paula Deen's version as well. Here's a link to her recipe:

yortma Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 21

I checked out the recipe by Paula Deen and it is a basic red velvet cake recipe with blue food color substituted for red. I would be surprised if it tasted any differently than a red velvet cake. I imagine you could use your own favorite red velvet cake recipe and simply sub blue for red food color. I had never heard of blue velvet cake, but it is nice to add that to the list. You never know when a blue cake might just be the thing!

Corrie76 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 21

icon_wink.gif blue velvet = green poop icon_eek.gif
the recipe should be a hit with the 10 year old boys out there icon_lol.gif

AnnieCahill Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:14am
post #6 of 21

Just take a red velvet cake and replace the red food coloring with blue.

costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 21

I did a blog entry on this, and it worked fine for me to put different food colorings into a red velvet cake recipe, but one of my friends tried it and it looked less than good. I think it depends on the brand of food coloring you use.

yortma Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 21

I will try green velvet for St Patrick's day. I'll let you know how's it works!

therese379 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 21

thanks for all the great help... I'm will give it a try and share all the details
thanks again Therese

costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 21
post #11 of 21
post #12 of 21
Foxicakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 21

I use CakeMommyTX White Velvet cake recipe from here on CC and add Wilton Pink food coloring to it and it is my best selling cake. I call it a Pink Velvet cake. However, I have also substituted blue several times to make a "Blue Velvet" cake.

I just like using the white chocolate flavor instead of the regular chocolate flavor that is in red velvet for my colored cakes. Although I do have to admit that red velvet is one of my favorite flavors...

Just an FYI: the recipe produces a very dense, yet moist cake. However, I have read where some people don't like how the edges of it tend to crisp up a little (and taste a lot like a sugar cookie.) But, I will tell you that I use it with stacked and carved cakes and it stays moist for days!!

mcdonald Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:25pm
post #14 of 21

I saw a recipe the other day on one of the blogs I follow and now I can't remember where it is at..

costumeczar Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:27pm
post #15 of 21

Oops, I just noticed the triple post..Sorry about that, I don't know what happened.

Foxicakes Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 1:26am
post #16 of 21

I have had a couple of people PM me and ask about CakeMommyTX 's White Velvet cake that I mentioned in my post earlier... I'm sorry I didn't add the link to it then, but I didn't realize that it would be so difficult to find in the search. So I'm including a portion of the email that I sent to the members that asked me for the recipe:

And, just an FYI, I have tried it with the International Delight White Chocolate Macadamia and the "fake nut" flavor, to me, is just awful. So, I just stick with the White Chocolate Mocha that the recipe calls for. Also, I use what some people would consider a "very large amount" of flavorings (extracts), but it is my signature flavor combination and to me, it just makes the cake that much better.

I combine:
1 Tbs Almond extract
1 1/2 Tbs butter flavoring
1 1/2 Tbs vanilla extract
1 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract

Then from this mixture, I measure 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs and add it to the cake batter. I just save the rest and use it later. (Its actually the same flavoring that I use in my buttercream so it's gone in a cake or two usually)

Another hint I can give you with this cake is to put everything into your mixing bowl and mix it by hand until all of the dry ingredients are wet and it looks like it is coming together to form a lumpy batter, THEN I turn on the mixer on low to medium (2 on a KA )and let it mix for NO LONGER than 2 minutes, but really just until it looks like a smooth batter. You will want to fill your pans to about 2/3 of the way full as it doesn't rise like most cakes. And, it WILL most likely dome in the middle unless you use baking strips. But, I usually just cut that off and call it my "sacrifice to the Cake Gods". (just a goofy way of saying that is the cake that I get to eat!!)

infinitsky Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:35am
post #17 of 21
Originally Posted by Foxicakes

I combine:
1 Tbs Almond extract
1 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract

This combination of flavors seem so interesting and has to be really tatsy, but have you ever used this for flavoring sugar cookies?

If yes, please let me know if it was good?

Babs1964 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:49am
post #18 of 21

The recipe is no longer available with the link provided would you be able to share a copy Foxycakes? I love the sound of your mixture!

I think it would be awesome in sugar cookies!

Foxicakes Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:56am
post #19 of 21

Oh, sorry about the link. And, no, infinitsky and Babs1964, I haven't tried it in sugar cookies. But it is my standard flavoring for just about all of my cakes.

And, I think I see why the link didnt work.
Here it is again:

Sorry about that!! (BTW, I clicked it when I previewed my message, so it should work this time. If not, I will just copy and paste the recipe into the forum. Just let me know)

Corrie76 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:01am
post #20 of 21
Originally Posted by Foxicakes

I combine:
1 Tbs Almond extract
1 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract

Sounds great, and I was just browsing through the LorAnn flavor oil site today and saw a bakers emulsion called "princess cake" flavor, it was described as a combo of almond, vanilla and lemon....your's sounds even better maybe you could call it "Queen Cake" flavor icon_lol.gif

Foxicakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:20pm
post #21 of 21

LOL!! MadameRaz!! I just might do that!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%