What To Do With Left Over Cake

Baking By kneenah Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 12:00pm by carmijok

kneenah Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 15

Ive been having alot of left over cake after i level it.. It sort of bothers me to throw it alway cuz its alot of cake left... any suggestion what i can do with it?

14 replies
pmarks0 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 15

Cake pops.

Lots of threads on here about how to and such. Can also go check out Bakerella's blog to see what she says as the queen of cake pops.

shanter Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 15

My suggestion: cake balls and cake pops.

Do a google images search for both of those, plus search on Bakerella--her site is fabulous! There's a book by her too.

There are also pictures in the galleries on CC and more than one forum about them. From the forums page, click on the small search link (not the big search tab) and search for both terms.

Have fun,
Shanter

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 15

You could make cake pops or truffles with it. Or you can avoid the left over cake all together. When I bake, right after I take it out of the oven I take a cake circle that's the same size and press it down onto the cake so I'm level with the pan. Works everytime and it doesn't effect the texture. The cakes are always level and if they aren't, it's just a few crumbs that I shave off the top.

indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 15

Mine go straight into the trash. Woodworkers have left over wood shavings; knitters have scraps of yarn; sewers have scraps of material; painters have leftover paint; and so on and so on. Its a by product of the business.

After all of these years of cake making, the last thing we want anymore is cake!!!!

I figure the trim-jobs are about twenty five cents worth of material, if that. I'm not taking up storage room for 25 cents worth of 'scrap'.

divinecc Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 15

Sometimes I save mine and make a yummy trifle! http://www.food.com/recipe/red-white-and-blue-trifle-174276

I usually use the WASC with it and just adjust the pudding, fruit or candy depending on the kind of cake it is! I freeze all of the scraps until I get enough

kneenah Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 15

I am going to have to check out those cake pops.. i made two cakes last night and suran wrapped it in placed it in the microwave over night when i took off the suran wrap to level the cakes its fell apart and crumbled completely :0( i was suppose to make a cake for my mom and sis on sat now i cant make it..

Jan14grands Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 15

I agree with Indydebi - don't need more cake to eat! I just throw them out!

momto2pottsy Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 15

My Father in Law takes my cake scraps and mixes them in with pudding...cake pudding! My family loves it! Otherwise, I throw them out icon_smile.gif

kneenah Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 15

ok so youtube cake pops.. looks pretty easy so ill try them tomorrow.. excited again now..lol

mbark Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 15

Oh I love trifles! I have done that too. I use the "push down" method also once the cake comes out of the oven to avoid wasted cake.

lynn1968 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:13am
post #12 of 15

just ignore me, i'm just placing a marker so i can find this page again lest i forget... and i tend to forget.

artscallion Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:42am
post #13 of 15

I make spackle. Mix the crumbled up trimmings with some buttercream and a little filling to a thick paste consistency. The use this for your crumb coat. It fills in any dents, holes, cracks and gaps just like spackle on a wall. Once it's set, just frost as usual over that. Your cake will be more stable and have perfectly clean lines. It accomplishes almost the same as using ganache under buttercream without all the expense of chocolate and no waste.

AnnieCahill Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:41am
post #14 of 15

I put them in a zip lock and leave them on the counter for my husband to consume, LOL.

carmijok Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:00pm
post #15 of 15

I wrap and freeze mine to use as either cake balls or 'filler' for other cakes. For some reason I always have one corner of my cakes droopy so I prop them up with cake scraps...or use them to fill in other spaces. It's funny but you can't tell when you cut the cake. I heard one of the bakers on Fabulous Cakes who was filling in a cake with spackle that cakes are just 'smoke and mirrors' sometimes. That is very true!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%