Help: Whole Cherries Or No?

Decorating By Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm by sillywabbitz

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a cherry pie cake. Using cherry pie filling... Layers from top to bottom will be:
Modeling chocolate basket weave "crust"
Cherry pie filling w/whole cherries showing through the crust
chocolate buttercream
triple chocolate cake
*cherry pie filling
Chocolate buttercream
triple chocolate cake

My question is, should I use just the gel stuff in the middle layer or include the whole cherries?

7 replies
divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 8

Sometimes with whole fruits like that the layers can be uneven and if you stack them and use dowels it can cause them to be uneven as well. I have never used whole cherries in a filling before but maybe you could put the filling in a processor to break them up a bit?

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks divinecc, I'm not concerned about structure at all b/c it is just a simple single layer mock food cake. I think I will just save the whole cherries for the top.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 8

If you're doing something like this, http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1924462, I'd run the pie filling for the filling between layers through a food processor first because the cherries might make your top layer uneven. You could also mix the pie fill with your buttercream for the filling. I'd be worried that the pie fill sitting on the buttercream might make your top layer slide on the buttercream when you go to cut it. Good Luck and HTH. Looking forward to seeing your photo.

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 8

I'm cheating, as this is a freebie, and baked the cake in a pie plate. I'm going to torte, and stack it back in the plate. Thanks! I'll post a photo here when I finish.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes

I'm cheating, as this is a freebie, and baked the cake in a pie plate. I'm going to torte, and stack it back in the plate. Thanks! I'll post a photo here when I finish.

In that case the pie plate will hold the cake in place even if it should want to slide. I'd still process the pie fill for the filling just for aesthetics. But that's just me, lol.

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the help. I just used the gel for the middle filling and saved the whole cherries for the top. It was a bit messy to serve out of the pie plate, but it tasted delish! I really like the way the modeling chocolate lattice work turned out.
http://media.cakecentral.com/gallery/717699/normal_1298062561.JPG

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 8

That is super cuteicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%