New To The Cake Decorating World

Decorating By midniteaddiction Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 6:34pm by CakeCrystals

midniteaddiction Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 5

Iam new to the cake decorating world. So far iam in love. I spend 23 hrs out of the day thinking of cake ideas yes even at work. my husband is my ginny pig when it comes to making them n asking opinions. I am in classes for cake decorating. I only have a butercream icing recipe and i use that one all the time but i have heard from several people that its to sweet so i was wondering does anyone have a whipped icing EASY recipe? and i want to learn how to do ice cream cakes? How would u start that? icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

4 replies
mimido Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 5

Hello and welcome,
if you use the tab at the top marked recipes you can find all kinds of different buttercream recipes. You can find all sorts of cake decorating informatiion from this site.

Mothersuperior Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 5

Welcome to CC and happy caking. I have only been on this site for a little over a year and I'm so grateful for all the help, advice that everyone is willing to share, both professionals and beginners. Wish you luck cant wait to see your creations.
For your recipe, look up buttercream, if you took your class at Michaels/AC Moore, you probably are working with icing (sugar, flavor and shortening) which can be very sweet, buttercream has a lot less sugar, but a lot more butter. I often do whipped cream (heavy cream, vanilla flavoring, a little powder sugar and some gelatin power to make it more stable, whipped at high speed.
Best of luck!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 5

The one I use when I want something less sweet is the following which I found on the net though I can't for the life of me remember where:

Mix 1 1/2 cups 2% milk with 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Should be the consistency of a heavy white sauce. Set aside to cool.

Cream together 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (I use Crisco) and 1/2 cup hard margarine (not butter (no I don't know why, that's how the recipe went) and not soft margarine because it has too much water content) and 1 cup granulated sugar (not powdered sugar). Beat on high for 10 minutes, scraping bowl down every 3-4 minutes.

Strain the cooled custard into the fat and sugar mixture, add flavoring, and beat on high speed for another 10 minutes, scraping the bowl down every 3-4 minutes.

When complete the mixture should have the look and texture of whipped cream.

When I want this a bit sweeter, I just add more sugar (up to one cup) in the second step, and when I want it bright white I use all Crisco. I also sometimes mix it half and half with my regular American buttercream.

This PM I plan to try it with smooth peanut butter replacing part (or maybe all) of the fat, and using a liquid mocha almond coffee creamer cut with water to replace the 2%, to make a filling and crumb coat for a chocolate cake.

CakeCrystals Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 5

Welcome to the most addictive caking site ever. You can and will learn alot from fellow cakers on this site. We are some of the most enthusiastic cake bakers and decorators around and we love to help each other. In addition to the recipes here for buttercream icings, you can also try Sharon Zambito's recipe from sugar shack.

Again Welcome to CAKE CENTRAL and HAPPY CAKING!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%