How Far In Advance To Make Cupcakes?

Baking By Spectra Updated 9 Feb 2014 , 8:14pm by cupcakemama1

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 19

I'm making cupcakes for a party on Saturday, was going to start baking today, ice and decorate tomorrow, Friday. I am wondering if they would dry out by Sat? I'm use to making cakes which are completely sealed in buttercream, but what about cupcakes? Just wondering how early you all make yours?

18 replies
Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 19

They should be fine. And if you can find room in the frig I know they will, if not, store in a box or tupperware container after they are cooled completely.

Chala86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chala86 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 19

Just make sure the cupcakes are in an airtight container and they will be fine for Saturday. I find my cupcakes can last quite a while if they're well covered so I wouldn't worry too much.

Spectra Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 19

Great, thanks!

sokelengl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sokelengl Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:56am
post #5 of 19

You can always make the cupcake before hand and freeze it. They can be defrosted wonderfully and I filled and frosted them when I need it.

Regards,

Lisa

Spectra Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 19

Thank you!

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 19

A couple of weeks ago I made cupcakes and had them in an air tight under the bed tote. A week later people were telling me that there were still as moist and delicious as the first day!

countrygirll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirll Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawLil

A couple of weeks ago I made cupcakes and had them in an air tight under the bed tote. A week later people were telling me that there were still as moist and delicious as the first day!

I agree---I have kept them covered and they were perfect. I just froze my first batch of cupcakes and they came out wonderful. Perfect for me when I feel like having one---or maybe not such a great idea for the scale!!! icon_redface.gif

SweetieD0505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieD0505 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:54am
post #9 of 19

I am so pleased to read all these comments, however, I don't know what I am doing wrong with my cupcakes. I live in sunny South Africa and maybe things are just different here. If I make my cupcakes in advance and freeze them or store them in airtight containers, they do stay perfect and moist etc. BUT the cupcake wrappers always seem to peel off. Any suggestions? In fact, this happens sometimes with freshly baked cupcakes too.

countrygirll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygirll Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:39am
post #10 of 19

SweetieD0505
I'm not sure what the weather is like in South Africa-is it really humid? I live in the northeast of the US and it is COLD, COLD, COLD here. When I bake my cupcakes, I have stopped spraying the cupcake liners because I noticed that they were peeling on their own. I have baked several batches and tested them when they cooled to see if the cake stuck to the wrapper--not at all--so I decided that the spray was too much oil and the wrappers were peeling off.
As far as freezing--I have heard about wrappers coming off. Again, maybe its from spraying them? Did you let them completely cool before freezing them? I put mine in a large plastic zip lock bag but made sure I had them lined up, so they all stood up and weren't just tossed in the bag. I have had cupcakes in the freezer for over three weeks now---wrappers are still on and the cupcakes are DELICIOUS. A little scary that fresh cupcakes are so readily available to me. I will be anxious to see if my wrappers are affected once the summer - HUMID- weather hits. Let me know if you try them my way and how things turn out!

GOOD LUCK!

SweetieD0505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieD0505 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:37am
post #11 of 19

Thanks countrygirl. It is more humid here than usual but I have had this problem for ages already. We use greaseproof papers so don't need to spray them and I always let them cool completely. Thanks for your advice though.

Kisses123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kisses123 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 9:44am
post #12 of 19

Cupcakes are best eaten the same day they are made. Undecorated cupcakes can be frozen up to 3 months. icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:11am
post #13 of 19

In scratch cakes, most recipes will not taste as good after day two.

Chala86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chala86 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:55am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

All of my cakes are scratch and, provided they are well covered, they still taste as good up to a week later.

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:19am
post #15 of 19

I use the "durable cake for 3d and wedding" cake recipe from this site for cuppies that has sour cream added to it. The cupcakes tend to stay more moist with this recipe. icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:35am
post #16 of 19

I have never heard of spraying the liners???

Zahn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahn Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:17am
post #17 of 19

Hi, can you please tell me what the 'durable cake' is and where i can get the recipe thanks

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 8:41am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chala86

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

All of my cakes are scratch and, provided they are well covered, they still taste as good up to a week later.

Dito

cupcakemama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemama1 Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 8:14pm
post #19 of 19

AI am going to be out of state for a wedding on a Saturday. I will be leaving town on the Wednesday before. What would be the best way to make sure the cupcakes still look and taste great without my aunt (grooms mom) having to frost them herself??? Help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%