Over Beating Cake

Baking By cakegirl71 Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 12:27am by cheatize

cakegirl71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl71 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 3

I recieved a Kitchen Aid mixer as a gift and I have made a few cakes with this mixer,but my last couple of cakes have fallen in the middle.I was told that sometimes you could over beat or under beat cakes with the kitchen aid.Have anyone else had any problems with the mixer.Any advice suggestions on using the mixer.I want to continue using it .I love using it!

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 3

You'd have to be beating it for a looooong time to over beat cake batter. Long beating (20 minutes) is part of the method for creating pound cake. It produces a very fine crumb. I normally mix in a Hobart (20 quart bowl) that is way more powerful than a KitchenAid. I never time the mixing, and if I get a phone call in the middle I let it run. KitchenAids are my small mixers for quick little jobs. I pretty much have to let them run for a bit while mixing as I'm more accustomed to the results from the more powerful machines.

Falling in the middle is more a sign of underbaking.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:27am
post #3 of 3

Overbeating doesn't make the cake tough? I thought once the flour was in there, you beat as little as possible to keep from overdeveloping the gluten?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%