Cake Settling....????

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 3:34am by CiNoRi

Mikel79 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1944290

Hi Cakers!

I am aware of the TILE method. Once cake is filled some folks place a floor tile on top of the cake and let sit overnight. Can you please share any other methods of allowing your cakes to settle before icing? When my cakes are filled I place in food safe bag and place same size cake pan on top of the cake. I then fill the pan with water to the top for added weight.

Why am I asking?? I "think" I might be applying to much weight. When I went to go remove the cake pan and unwrap my cake, it was lopsided?!?! WTH? One side actually slopped down. I use a thick BC icing dam. I add a lot of PS to make it thick. Then fill. This has happened to a couple of my cakes. Sometimes part of the cake layer, NOT THE FILLING, will bulge out. I would have to trim the bulge off.

I let my cakes settle with the cake pan for about 12-18 hours. Do you think this is to much weight? To much time?

The link at the top of this post is the final product.
Thank you!
Michael

6 replies
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 7

The pan of water weighs more than the tile. Water is 8 pounds per gallon so you can estimate how much weight you're putting on the cake. Tiles also have no potential for complete mess like water does and doesn't tie up a cake pan.

Dayti Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 7

I cover the filled cake in clingfilm and put a cake board on top (one size bigger than the cake). I get a lump of fondant approximately the weight I will be using on the cake, wrap in clingfilm, and put it on top of the cakeboard on the cake. Leave it to rest for as long as I can be bothered to wait icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 7

I think something to consider with the water is that if one side of the cake dips a little, then you would have more water sitting on that side. Which would be adding more weight to that spot, which may compress the cake more, and then you'd have even more water sitting on that one side since the cake pan will tilt a little and so on.

Mikel79 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 7

I appreciate the feedback folks!

I have a cake in the oven now! When I go to fill and place in the food safe plastic bags, I will not do the water pan thing again! I will see how the cake comes out on this one!

Thanks again!

Michael

Mikel79 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:10am
post #6 of 7

So, my cakes are wrapped in food safe plastic bags and will settle until 500 pm tomorrow evening.

I went ahead and placed an EMPTY cake pan on top of the cake. 8" cake has a 8" cake pan on it.

Hardly any weight. However, just enough to add slight pressure to the cake to allow any bulging to occur before I go to ice.....I hope.....

Knock on wood.....I will see tomorrorw

Thanks

Michael

CiNoRi Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:34am
post #7 of 7

I do the "tile method" but I use a couple of books, I also check the book with a level before walking away for a while. It seems to help, but i have similar issues in the past with the cakes "dipping" after sitting overnight. If anyone has suggestions, i'm all for it! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%