Marshmallow Fondant...

Decorating By Bruno2010 Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 5:05am by sabre

Bruno2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bruno2010 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:39am
post #1 of 20

Has anyone ever noticed that the marshmallow fondant has more of an ivory tint to it. It is not as white as Wilton fondan or is it just me? Is there a trick to getting it whiter? Also noticed it dosen't dry as fast.

19 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 9:01am
post #2 of 20

Yes, the only really white fondant I've seen is the Bright White from Elite fondant. When making it you can add white food coloring before adding the sugar this seems to work for me.
I really like the Elite fondant but like everything else these days is is stinking expensive! about $18.00 for 2 lbs through Caljavaonline.com hth

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 9:02am
post #3 of 20

I use MMF exclusively as a fondant and find it whiter than white. The marshmallows are white as is the icing sugar so that's the colour I get. Are you adding vanilla?
Re, the drying - the more icing sugar you add the quicker it will dry but the down side to that is that it is much harder to roll out (I once had to roll for over an hour). HTH.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:17am
post #4 of 20

I just made MMF for the first time last week and have done 4cakes and two sets of cupcakes (with MMF figures) and I found it to be amazingly easy to make, easy to work with, and it had the best results of any of my fondant work so far (using satin ice in the past) I havn't used it white yet, but I have been told to add the white coloring. Also I have read not to use Jet puffed, they say it affects the color. I use a generic brand of mini marsh from BJ's

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:18am
post #5 of 20

I just made MMF for the first time last week and have done 4cakes and two sets of cupcakes (with MMF figures) and I found it to be amazingly easy to make, easy to work with, and it had the best results of any of my fondant work so far (using satin ice in the past) I havn't used it white yet, but I have been told to add the white coloring. Also I have read not to use Jet puffed, they say it affects the color. I use a generic brand of mini marsh from BJ's

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 20

can someone point me towards a good MMF recipe for a fairly warm humid climate.
I want to try it but just don't know where to start.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 20

To pp: I like MacsMoms recipe. You can find it on this site.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 20

I want to try Macsmom mmf but I can't find popcorn salt; any suggestions?

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 20

i make a very, very basic mmf recipe and i live in south texas (super humid). i love it and never have any problems! lets see, it goes:

2lbs powdered sugar
16oz large marshmallows (i use HEB brand)
2tbs water
1tbs vanilla

crisco a large bowl, dump marshmallows, vanilla, and water in, and microwave for one minute. stir with a crisco-ed spoon, then microwave in 30 second intervals (stirring after each time) until its melted (usually takes me a total of 2 minutes; initial one minute then two 30-second intervals). pour powdered sugar in KA and press against walls to make a "bowl" shape inside the mixing bowl. pour melted marshmallow mixture in, crisco your dough hook, and let it mix for 5-10 minutes until its all incorporated. turn out onto crisco-ed surface, give it a few kneeds, then wrap in saran wrap and let sit for a few hours. works like a charm for me everytime and ppl love the flavor!

hth icon_biggrin.gif

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:50pm
post #10 of 20

Rhonda's ultimate MMF is the best recipe! (IMO) Very easy, tastes great. This recipe converted me into using fondant.

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 20

I use clear extracts and marshmallow FLUFF, and mine comes out super white icon_smile.gif

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:39pm
post #12 of 20

If you find it is not white enough add some white food colouring to the melted marshmallows. Then add the sugar and knead. That works for me.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 8:01pm
post #13 of 20

i found my mmf recipe on youtube. i live in georgia and it's fairly humid all the time here. i've never had a problem with it. heres the link to the video.
part 1:

and it's using an electric mixer, so not so much on the arms! i own a hamilton beach brand mixer, not a kitchen aide and it works just as well. HTH!

Chellescakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:43am
post #14 of 20

thanks everyone icon_biggrin.gif , I will have to try all these out , I don't have any cakes next week so might actually do something for myself . I am hoping that I can do something for myself for a change. icon_rolleyes.gif

Does it keep at all or do you have to make it fresh each time. ?

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #15 of 20

i have kept mine sealed in a ziploc bag and it be fine the next time i used it. of course...i dont keep it for real long...maybe a month or so...

GingerSnapCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GingerSnapCakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:02am
post #16 of 20

Oh my first post.

I have been using marshmallow fondant for two years now and I find it white white without problems. When I am done with the fondant I wrap it well and then put it in the freezer and it keeps. I do it for colours that I find are a PITA to get proper like black and red. I pull them out cut off as much as need for next time and it is fine, the longest it has been in my freezer is just over a month and there haven't been problems with texture or crumble, and it tastes fresh.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 3:08am
post #17 of 20

Campfire marshmallows are a creamier color than Kraft plus make sure you use clear flavorings.

Chellescakes Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:45am
post #18 of 20

thanks everyone for the advice , I will have to experiment a bit with the marshmallows here in Australia, I am pleased to know that it will keep in the freezer , I keep my ordinary left over fondant colours in there and they are fine, I was at a lunch with some of the girls from the local cake decorating branch yesterday and we were discussing whether you could freeze the MMF or not. It is not something we use in Australia.

The fondant I use is Bakels , if I buy it through our association it is $40 for seven Kilos. so I am hoping that the MMF might be cheaper particularly if I am doing smaller cakes that don't have such a great profit margin,

thanks Again , I love this forum

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:54am
post #19 of 20

I've found that store brands are usually whiter than the Jet-Puff brand. I just bought some from Albertsons for the first time, and the fondant came out SUPER white.

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:05am
post #20 of 20

I bought Hytop Marshmallows from Winco's for a great price. They were soft, extremely white and made a beautiful MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%