Talk To Me About Freezing A Cake!

Lounge By sarascakecreations Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 4:54am by mimi1218

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:26am
post #1 of 8

Hello,

So I have read on here about freezing cakes but can't for the life on my remember the details. My nephew changed his mind last minute about his cake flavor from vanilla to chocolate... and well I don't want to disapoint him so I know have a left over 9x13 chocolate cake.

I would like to freeze it. So how the heck do I go about doing that? Do I need to keep it in the pan to hold the shape? Do I wrap it in saran wrap and that's it?

As for de-frosting, do I let it defrost in the saran wrap? OR do I take it out of the saran wrap and maybe put it on some paper towel bc of the condensation?

Any help would be appreciated, as I'd hate to see this cake go to waste.

S

7 replies
Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:00am
post #2 of 8

it's simple enough, just take the cake out of the pan, wrap it up in plastic wrap- if you think it might be sitting in the freezer for a long time, definitely double wrap it. I unwrap my cakes to defrost because the condensation from the plastic will sometimes cause a slimy coat. I've frozen cakes up to three months and they've defrosted beautifully with no freezer taste or staleness issues.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:09am
post #3 of 8

I double plastic wrap, and then wrap in aluminum foil. I thaw partially while it's still wrapped and then I open and let it dry just a bit to help with the condensation as mentioned by pp.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:11am
post #4 of 8

Some people swear by wrapping the cake in aluminum foil AFTER the Saran Wrap. I will be freezing my first cake this weekend for a wedding cake I am making next week. I am a little nervous because I have never frozen a cake before, but I have been reassured after reading many CC threads on this topic.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:26am
post #5 of 8

Freezing actually improves the moistness of the cake. I freeze even if it's only overnight for that reason.

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:34am
post #6 of 8

When I freeze a cake, I just double wrap it in plastic wrap. It lasts for a pretty long time. Meaning when thawed it's still fresh, no freezer taste. Just make sure you wrap it securely and I think you will be fine.

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:41am
post #7 of 8

Ok thanks so much everyone!

I am going to freeze it and then use it for an order in 2 weeks so it will be a good test run!

S.

mimi1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi1218 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 4:54am
post #8 of 8

It will work perfectly. I always freeze my extra cake and just pull it out for the next one I am making. Good luck I'm sure it will turn out fantastic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%