Help!cake Shrinking And Doming!

Lounge By MelissaMay Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 6:12am by MelissaMay

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #1 of 7

Please help me...Everytime I bake a cake they shrink away from the pan are overdone on the outside and domed in the center. My goal is to achieve a nice cake that is level across that bakes evenly. Is this too much to ask...lol

6 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:11am
post #2 of 7

I find that using Bake Even strips and baking at a lower temperature helps. I tend to overfill my pans a little so my cakes bake up a little high so I still have to level a bit. I've read other posters saying they use parchment paper around the sides of their pans to help with the overflow. I keep forgetting to try it myself, but will one of these days. I don't mind trimming some because I love cake scraps. Hope those ideas help.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:23am
post #3 of 7

I use baking strips, flower nails, and bake on 325 degrees. The number of flower nails needed will vary depending upon how big the cake pan is. I also overfill my pans. Don't have too much excess to trim off either. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:25am
post #4 of 7

I never use flower nails and I quit using the bake even strips. Turn that temp down! Never more than 325, and don't be afraid of 300 especially for bigger layers.

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 7

I agree. I think slowing your cook time down will help alot. I have never used a flower nail or baking strips. And I do bake my cakes between 300-325. HTH.

MelissaMay Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:29am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I never use flower nails and I quit using the bake even strips. Turn that temp down! Never more than 325, and don't be afraid of 300 especially for bigger layers.

Leah_s
thank you! I thought about 300 but was a little nervous. I baked at 325...I will try to lower. I hate the bake even strips because I feel like they are always falling off the darn pan! Thank you everyone!

I feel like I see these beautiful cakes and when mine come out I'm trimming most of them away to level them wasting so much cake! Thanks again

MelissaMay Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:12am
post #7 of 7

OK...So I made two large bible cakes last weekend and I am amazed at how even they baked, no dome, no shrunken edges! Thank you Leah_s...I baked them at 300, was patient and they were perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%