Lemon Buttercream Anyone??

Baking By sweetandi Updated 11 Apr 2014 , 12:18pm by jchuck

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:26am
post #31 of 39

A Lemon cupcake recipe I found at the library today spurred me to look for threads on Lemon Swiss Meringue Buttercream.  I was wondering what would best flavor it. 

Lemon Extract

Lemon Juice

thawed Lemonade concentrate.

Lemon juice powdered sugar glaze is easy enough and I may go that route. Lemon AMBC I've made before,  However has anyone made Lemon SMBC?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 1:28am
post #32 of 39

AI make my usual bc icing, using water because of the added acidic lemons. Like the others here, I add homemade lemon curd, lemon juice, lemon zest, plus butter flavouring. The butter flavouring cuts the sweetness and seems to enhance the lemon flavour. If I don't have time to make lemon curd, I add about 1/4 cup of frozen lemonade.

MBalaska Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 2:14am
post #33 of 39

Thanks....Which type is your usual bc AMBC, IMBC, or SMBC?

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 2:34am
post #34 of 39

I just love the lemon curd from RLB's Cake Bible. Cooked an additional 20 minutes at 190 degrees (stir constantly) it gets nice and thick and is great for filling as well.  It is even better with  Meyer lemons.  It freezes beautifully which makes it easy to keep on hand.   My favorite lemon frosting is SMBC, lemon curd, vanilla and limoncello.  So Good!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 3:05am
post #35 of 39

Yortma, how much lemoncello do you add to your recipe?  Would you be willing to share your recipe?  You can PM me if you prefer that to posting here.  I love anything vanilla or lemon...especially lemon!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 3:52am
post #36 of 39

My SMBC recipe is 1.5 cups of egg whites, 2 cups of sugar, 1.5 pounds (6 cubes) of butter.  It is the standard directions for SMBC.    If you need  directions, i will be happy to pm.  To be honest, I don't know the exact amounts, I make it to taste every time.  To the above amount I probably about a  cup of curd, but I add in 1/4 cup increments mixing well after each, until it is the right intensity.  I use a little less vanilla than I would for a vanilla SMBC,  about  2 tablespoons of vanilla and 1 to 2 tablespoons of limoncello.  The limoncello makes it so rich and smooth tasting, really worth it.  HTH!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 3:56am
post #37 of 39

Thanks for sharing.  That sounds sooo yummy!  Definitely have to try it soon!

MBalaska Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 6:32am
post #38 of 39

had to look up limoncello. thanks for sharing your SMBC success.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 11 Apr 2014 , 12:18pm
post #39 of 39

AI make all butter icing. Just butter, icing sugar, meringue pwdr & extracts. Family doesn't like SMBC. They find it too sweet. I also make flour icing. Nice mouth feel and not too sweet. Poor mans SMBC. It can also be finicky like SMBC. But I found a trick. I beat my icing with my mixer bowl sitting in a bowl of ice. Brings the icing together & helps butter solidify.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%