So I Finished My Daughters Moving Skate Cake, But....

Decorating By Reimagining_Confections Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 1:18am by pinkbutterfly

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:08am
post #1 of 6

don't recommend making any cakes when you are ticked (sad, mad, neg. emotion of any kind).

Bad things can happen because your head is not in the game. I posted in another thread about my cousin and hubby's family calling us cheap due to no wedding gift, despite my cake. Had to put it past me- thanks fellow CC'rs big help from you or this cake would have come from COSTCO not me and my daughter would have been upset.

Examples of bad things that happen when you are not in the right frame of mind when caking:

1) I burnt my hand(four separate times on the sugar wheels that would not give me a break)

2) I sealed in working led bulbs in sugar only to have one wheel go out the day of the party(three hours away), so always make back ups(got to break the wheel, remove bulb and re-do)- thus my fourth burn.

3)Burnt my first batch of MMF- kept reading my husbands families emails, drafting and re-drafting a response and made my MMF a burnt mess(SMOKE alarms work fine though thumbs_up.gif)

4)Kept testing remote control on car(did you know the front wheels don't spin, only the back on most toy cars/trucks). I didn't, now I DO thumbs_up.gif

I needed all 4 wheels to spin so I had to rig rubber bands across the front and back axles and keep the front "axle" from moving right or left(don't ask- fifth or sixth solution worked).

5) First attempt of placing skate on board is funny now, but not at the time. It "skated" itself right off the cake(hubby caught it). So re-engineered(yes wheels could be lower with less space between them and the cake), but literally I was at my final point. thumbs_up.gif . Skate stayed in cake and moved- good enough.

6)Ripped a chunk of skin off my thumb from a stubborn staple on a package of Wilton candy melt bottles. Scissors would have been an easier solution, but I think I envisioned ripped the head off my cousin, soooo pained thumb.

So here I am bruised, burnt and battered mentally and physically from my this past week plus, but in the end....my daughter loved her cake, the kids thought it was a blast, and my daughters smile made me forget(for awhile at least) my aching digits!

It's in my pics...no gore in the shots I promise!!! Thanks for your help and thanks for looking.

5 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:18am
post #2 of 6

So sorry to hear you had such a hard time on this cake, but it did turn out amazing! So great job!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:29am
post #3 of 6

That cake is awesomey awesomeness! I laughed at your tale, but only because it didn't happen to me. Hopefully all your bad cake mojo has now been expended for at least a year!

AmyBee89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBee89 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:46am
post #4 of 6

I'm absolutely blown away by the awesomeness of this cake. WOW!

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:53am
post #5 of 6

I wish the bad skate mojo on no one(well icon_twisted.gif almost NO one). Man- I think if I had to work on that cake one more day, i would have lost a digit. The crazy thing, I burnt different fingers. My pointer, then my thumb, then my left middle finger- don't ask), then my left thumb.

The tear was on my right thumb(insult to injury).

I have one more cake in March then i am taking a bit of a break. Going to go to the cake show in Annandale, VA in March and enjoy someone else beautiful work(and might go off my diet for a slice or two of something yummy- I love unique flavors and hope for some cool inspiration).

pinkbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbutterfly Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:18am
post #6 of 6

I am sorry about all of the mishaps on this cake, but it is absoulutely amazing. icon_biggrin.gif I hope all works out in your best interest with your family, but your CC family is here for you..always thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%