Altering The Hersheys Chocolate Cake Recipe

Baking By jade8 Updated 7 Mar 2011 , 5:39pm by ebraddy

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 22

Hi
For those of you who use the Hersheys Chocolate Cake recipe, have you ever substituted sour cream for the milk? If so, how was the taste and texture. Did you need to adjust the water amount as well? I love the way this cake bakes and tastes but am wondering if the sour cream will make it just a bit more dense and easier to work with. When I torte it, I some times find it hard to get the layers to hold together without breaking up.
thanks

21 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 22

I do that all the time. I found it was just too moist and sunk in the middle with all of the moisture from a cup of water and a cup of milk. I prefer the texture when I use sour cream.

jade8 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 22

so do you sub the sour cream for the milk or water or both?

bonniebakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 22

I substitute sour cream for the milk - 1 cup of sour cream

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 22

I also sub 1 cup of sour cream for the milk. I love the taste and texture.

jade8 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 22

thanks for the input. i shall try it this weekend.

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:06am
post #7 of 22

hhhhmmm can anyone post the hersheys chocolate cake recipe here for me? i'd love to try it!

S.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:31am
post #8 of 22

It is on the back of the cocoa can and on their site as Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake or the alternative, Black Magic Cake.

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:39am
post #9 of 22

hi bonniebakes and dah,
i love this recipe but i feel the same way as jade regarding the manageability of this cake. does the substitution (sour cream) alter the taste much or is is still similar to the original recipe.
i was also wondering if anyone tried this recipe using any other cocoa other than Hershey's.
we relocated recently and i no longer have access to Hersheys cocoa
well, i will be trying it out soon with another brand and the sour cream too!

thanks again
sulia

JackiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackiesCreations Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 9:49am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulia

hi bonniebakes and dah,
i love this recipe but i feel the same way as jade regarding the manageability of this cake. does the substitution (sour cream) alter the taste much or is is still similar to the original recipe.
i was also wondering if anyone tried this recipe using any other cocoa other than Hershey's.
we relocated recently and i no longer have access to Hersheys cocoa
well, i will be trying it out soon with another brand and the sour cream too!

thanks again
sulia

Hi Sulia,

To be honest, I use this recipe but NEVER have I used Hershey's cocoa (because it's not that accessible here). I use Gluten-free Dutch-processed cocoa and it's just divine! I have also used many other cocoa brands that can be bought from supermarkets and the results were still amazing. I do find it collapses easily, but I have never tried to substitute anything. I am interested to see how it will turn out once sour cream is used instead of milk. Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:21am
post #11 of 22

We don't have Hershey in the UK, at least not readily available... I use regular store coco powder and havent had a bad recipe yet. Although i do agree that it is very difficult to torte... for the next attempt i will try sour cream... hadn't even considered that as an option! icon_smile.gif

sam
xxx

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:13am
post #12 of 22

hi jackie and sam
thanks so much for the response - i feel more confident now.
when i make this cake in a sheet pan, i cut it in half first and then torte each
half separately - this makes a huge difference as the smaller cakes are less likely
to collapse. after you've filled them, joined them together and iced it, you would never know
that the cake was actually in 2 pieces.

good luck
sulia

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarascakecreations

hhhhmmm can anyone post the hersheys chocolate cake recipe here for me? i'd love to try it!

S.

here's the link to the cake recipe on the hershey's website. just in case you dont have the actual hershey's cocoa in your pantry.
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/184/HERSHEY'S%20%22PERFECTLY%20CHOCOLATE%22%20Chocolate%20Cake.aspx

jade8 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:17pm
post #14 of 22

we dont have the hersheys cocoa here either. i just use what i can find in the store.

bonniebakes Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:21pm
post #15 of 22

I use other cocoa, too. I actually use a mixture of cocoas.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 22

Bonniecakes -- what mixture of cocoas do you use? I have a few varieties available to me where I live, but usually use Hershey's as it's the most readily available. I've also ordered some from King Arthur Flours. Was just curious as to what cocoas you mix together. It'd be interesting to try your mixture.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:27pm
post #17 of 22

I use the Hershey's recipe all the time...just as it's written except for adding a pinch of cinnamon and teaspoon of instant coffee and it is great. I use it for tiered cakes and have had no problems with it crumbling. It's very dense. To stop it from sinking in the middle, immediately after you take it out of the oven, run a knife around the edge of your cake pan to make sure it's not sticking. Doing this while it's warm will assure you the cooling process won't cause the sinking issue. Cakes contract when they cool and if the sides are stuck to the pan only the center will fall. After they're cooled and out of the pan I wrap them in Saran Wrap and freeze them. It seems to help the density issue as well.
I love this cake! (I've also added Kahlua to it, too).

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #18 of 22

The chocolate cake recipe handed down to me is very similar to the Hershey's cake, except 1) it calls for a cup of buttermilk or sour cream instead of milk; 2) it calls for a cup of boiling water with a heaping teaspoon of instant espresso powder mixed in. (Actually, it calls for instant coffee, but I use espresso for a stronger flavor.) Come to think of it, my recipe might be an altered Hershey's recipe! icon_eek.gif

To spice things up, I've added Kahlua, Amaretto, Liquid CoffeeMate creamers (hazelnut or raspberry are amazing!), Orange Liquor (Grand Marnier, Triple Sec), Chambord, and on and on. I add these to the buttermilk/sour cream or boiling coffee, making sure the combination measures 1 cup total. Also, keep in mind that buttermilk has a stronger flavor than sour cream, so some "add ins" don't go as well with it. To be safe, just use sour cream.

Edited to add: If I'm adding a clear liquor, I usually add that to the boiling coffee; if adding CoffeeMate, Kahlua, Bailey's, etc, I usually add that to the dairy.

bonniebakes Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 12:14am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle

Bonniecakes -- what mixture of cocoas do you use? I have a few varieties available to me where I live, but usually use Hershey's as it's the most readily available. I've also ordered some from King Arthur Flours. Was just curious as to what cocoas you mix together. It'd be interesting to try your mixture.

it varies... sometimes I use 1/2 hersheys dark and 1/2 nestle cocoa. other times I use a combination of KA cocoas.. I have 3 kinds from them. It depends on how I'm feeling that day, what I have on hand, and how "dark chocolate" or rich I want it to be. They've all been great!

I use the hot water mixed with espsresso powder too.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 12:25am
post #20 of 22

Thnks for the info Bonniecakes. I'll have to try that some time.

sweets4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets4you Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 1:05am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

The chocolate cake recipe handed down to me is very similar to the Hershey's cake, except 1) it calls for a cup of buttermilk or sour cream instead of milk; 2) it calls for a cup of boiling water with a heaping teaspoon of instant espresso powder mixed in. (Actually, it calls for instant coffee, but I use espresso for a stronger flavor.) Come to think of it, my recipe might be an altered Hershey's recipe! icon_eek.gif

To spice things up, I've added Kahlua, Amaretto, Liquid CoffeeMate creamers (hazelnut or raspberry are amazing!), Orange Liquor (Grand Marnier, Triple Sec), Chambord, and on and on. I add these to the buttermilk/sour cream or boiling coffee, making sure the combination measures 1 cup total. Also, keep in mind that buttermilk has a stronger flavor than sour cream, so some "add ins" don't go as well with it. To be safe, just use sour cream.

Edited to add: If I'm adding a clear liquor, I usually add that to the boiling coffee; if adding CoffeeMate, Kahlua, Bailey's, etc, I usually add that to the dairy.

Thanks for all the great tips! Can't wait to try it with Orange Liquor! icon_smile.gif

ebraddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebraddy Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 5:39pm
post #22 of 22

Just substituted the sour cream for milk in my Hershey's cake to make a horse cake. Made it so much easier to carve! Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%