Pasta Machine For Chocolate Clay, Gum Paste, Fondant?

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 6:12pm by hbarberycakes

TabbieCakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 14

I'm seriously considering purchasing an inexpensive (around $40) pasta machine to roll out my chocolate clay, gum paste and fondant - just for the smaller pieces I use to decorate with.

I made chocolate roses recently and all that rolling pin work was killing my wrists. Plus, I'd like to finally get a consistent thickness!

What do you think? Is this a good idea? Any cautions, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
jennajane Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 14

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have started using mine a lot for cake decorating. A couple of Christmases ago I upgraded and got the one to attach to my kitchen-aid. It is great for pasta and kneading dough and fondant. I made the box on the my safari animal cake with a pasta machine and the fettuccine cutter. There are 50 individual gumpaste loops, the pasta machine made it way easier.
Jenna

TabbieCakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 14

Wow! Nice cakes and good to know! I didn't even think of my KA and the possible attachments. Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

aundrea Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 14

i asked for a pasta machine for christmas. everyone laughed when i told them why i wanted it. i have yet to try it but people on hear have said its great for working with small batches of fondant.
good luck!!

TabbieCakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:50am
post #5 of 14

Yay! So glad to hear that icon_smile.gif Thank you for responding.

TX_girl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:52am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbieCakes

I'm seriously considering purchasing an inexpensive (around $40) pasta machine to roll out my chocolate clay, gum paste and fondant - just for the smaller pieces I use to decorate with.

I made chocolate roses recently and all that rolling pin work was killing my wrists. Plus, I'd like to finally get a consistent thickness!

What do you think? Is this a good idea? Any cautions, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd love to get a pasta machine but the KA attachment is a bit of bigger investment than I want to make right now. Where do you find the $40 pasta machine?

TabbieCakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:16am
post #7 of 14

I know what you mean. I cant afford the KA attachment either right now. There are hand crank table top models on Amazon. Different prices, as low as $14 and as high as $70 or more. There was a $37 one that looked pretty good to me. Just search on that site for pasta maker or pasta machine. HTH.

tiggy2 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:28am
post #8 of 14

Bed Bath & Beyond has the KA pasta roller attachment for $50. If you get their 20% coupons it brings the price down.

TabbieCakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:33am
post #9 of 14

Oooooooh! Thank you! This is why I love this site and usually post for opinions before I buy new equipment.

TX_girl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:01am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Bed Bath & Beyond has the KA pasta roller attachment for $50. If you get their 20% coupons it brings the price down.

Cool! Thanks!

cakelady2266 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:00am
post #11 of 14

I have a hand crank pasta machine and I love it. I got it for about $25.00 at Bed Bath and Beyond. I use the fettuccine and angel hair cutter attachment that came with it all the time. Best $25 I ever spent. If they ever make one wider than 6 inches I'd be so happy.

CakeandDazzle Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:50am
post #12 of 14

I used (and LOVE) my clay roller i got at JoAnns with a 50% off coupon.... seriously couldnt live without the thing! It was maybe 15 bucks?

cheatize Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:59am
post #13 of 14

I started with the clay roller and liked. I loaned it my daughter and her college roomies. So much for that one. I then found a pasta roller at a thrift store that I like even better.

hbarberycakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 14

My husband just got me the one from Hobby Lobby yesterday! Anyone used that or have suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%