Carrot Cake Recipe That Is Suitable For Stacking

Baking By DivaWeava Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 9:57am by punita123

DivaWeava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaWeava Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 12

I have a request for a 4 tier wedding cake that is completely made out of carrot cake. In my experience, carrot cake is a little bit softer than most. I am in need of a delicious recipe that will be good for stacking, and holding the weight of fondant. Thank for your help! (0:

11 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 12

any cake recipe is good for stacking tiers. The cake isn't what holds the upper tiers your support system (dowels & boards, or SPS, etc...) is holds the upper tiers of cake. There shouldn't be any pressure on the cake from the tiers above, if there is this is when you get cakes that collapse.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 12

I think you are worried about the weight of the fondant, and the recipe I use for carrot cake, I would be afraid to use it. Its so moist, and with pineapple and carrots, it would be hard to cut without crumbling, so I'm not much help here. Probably a cake mix carrot cake would work. I have a wedding cake coming up this june, and she really likes my carrot cake, but I told her I would be too nervous using it for a wedding cake. Maybe some more experienced bakers can help you, I know I like things easy.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:20am
post #4 of 12

I just made this one without pineapple or nuts. I think it would work well for you.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7362/carrot-cake-or-banana-cake

DivaWeava Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

I think you are worried about the weight of the fondant, and the recipe I use for carrot cake, I would be afraid to use it. Its so moist, and with pineapple and carrots, it would be hard to cut without crumbling, so I'm not much help here. Probably a cake mix carrot cake would work. I have a wedding cake coming up this june, and she really likes my carrot cake, but I told her I would be too nervous using it for a wedding cake. Maybe some more experienced bakers can help you, I know I like things easy.

Yes, I am worried about the weight of the fondant crushing the moist carrot cake. I really do love to bake with a mix to give the cake more structure. Do you all think that a carrot cake box mix with vanilla pudding would be carroty cakey enough? Or would the vanilla take away from the flavor?

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

I just made this one without pineapple or nuts. I think it would work well for you.

I used this same recipe without any of the extras just a couple of weeks ago, and it held up fine under the fondant.

DivaWeava Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

Quote:

I used this same recipe without any of the extras just a couple of weeks ago, and it held up fine under the fondant.

I am going to have to try it! I have a few weeks to experiment! (0: Thanks so much!

cheatize Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:18am
post #8 of 12

If you overbake that recipe and it's a little bit dry, Davinci caramel syrup tastes wonderful on it. (Ask me how I know, lol icon_smile.gif )

DivaWeava Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

If you overbake that recipe and it's a little bit dry, Davinci caramel syrup tastes wonderful on it. (Ask me how I know, lol icon_smile.gif )

Do you have the recipe for Davinci caramel syrup? (0:

cheatize Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 12:13am
post #10 of 12

No, it's a brand you buy at the grocery store. Torani is the name of another brand. I think it's in the coffee aisle. I usually buy it at Sams Club but I've seen it at Walmart.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 12:28am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

Quote:

I can't wait to try this recipe, my carrot cakes are sooooo moist that they tend to smoosh under the fondant. icon_confused.gif

punita123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punita123 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 9:57am
post #12 of 12

This is a rich carrot cake with sweet cream cheese icing. In my book this is a classic which never fails to impress. The iceing is the best bit and just offsets the taste of the cake itself perfectly.

Ingredients

* 2 cups Self Raising Flour
* 1 oz Butter or Margarine
* ½ to 1 oz Almond Essence
* 6 oz Cream Cheese
* 8 oz Icing Sugar (sifted)
* 1 oz Butter or Margarine
* 1 cup Chopped Nuts (optional)
* 4 Eggs
* 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
* ¾ cup Corn Oil
* 1 ¾ cups Caster Sugar
* 2 cups (approx. 0.5 lb) Grated Carrot
* 1 cup (approx. 420 gm tin) Crushed Pineapple
* 2 teaspoons Bicarbonate of Soda
* ½ - 1 oz Almond Essence

Method

* The Cake
Mix all ingredients of cake together well and bake in moderate oven 180 degrees centigrade (gasmark 4 or 350 degrees F) in a large lined tin for approxomately 1 hour. Leave to cool in the tin.

The Icing
Beat cheese and butter together until well blended, gradually mixing in the essence and icing sugar. Cover top and sides with icing and chill until required for eating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%