Frosting For Chocolate Beet Cake

Decorating By jennajane Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 4:42pm by cakesrock

jennajane Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 2

I have a friend that requested my version of Red Velvet cake, which is actually a chocolate beet cake (no, it isn't really red), but doesn't want cream cheese icing. I have only made it with cream cheese frosting. Also they aren't big sweet fans, so I am trying to stay away from chocolate. I was thinking about sour cream frosting like this:

Sour Cream Frosting
Frosting:
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
1/3 C sour cream, room temperature
1/4 C butter, softened
3/4 t vanilla
1/8 t salt

Will this crust? Will it hold the fondant? Will it freeze ok? The party is the day after I move, so I have already decided I will need to put the cake in the freezer for a week. I was going to do a couple of test cupcakes this week.

Thanks in advance.
Jenna

1 reply
cakesrock Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 2

There is a really good whipped cream buttercream icing (that does not use actual whipped cream) in recipes. It isn't too sweet and I love it! It goes well with red velvet, so I'm sure it will work with yours:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2019/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

I am not sure about the recipe you posted. Based on the info you gave, I think I would stay away from the perishable. This also freezes well. I use it as a base under fondant and to ice an entire cake. You can also get it to crust by using extra meringue powder, as stated in the directions.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%