Lighthouse Cake

Decorating By limabean526 Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm by limabean526

limabean526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
limabean526 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

I am making a lighthouse cake for my friend's bridal shower in just two weeks and need some help. I have researched this to death and am planning on making it from 8" rounds, separated by cardboard rounds between, that I mount on a plywood board with a PVC pipe center rod for structural support. I will then carve the cakes into the shape of the lighthouse using a template at the top to keep me at the diameter I want. I will skim and cover it with fondant and decorate from there. My issue lies in the topper. I want it to look great but not make myself nuts over it. I have Googled this endlessly and found what I want on a lighthouse making website but it runs $85!!! I have looked into small lighthouse candle lanterns and not found one that would work (I am concerned about size - it can't exceed 6" - and weight on the cake). I have noticed that many who have done a cake like this used upside-down votive holders but am not 100% satisfied with the look of that.

Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Please help!

Thanks!

2 replies
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 3

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to but could you use a string of led lights (maybe put up through the pvc pipe?) and use the melted boiled sweets to fashion the windows?

limabean526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
limabean526 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to but could you use a string of led lights (maybe put up through the pvc pipe?) and use the melted boiled sweets to fashion the windows?

I was referring to the beacon topper on the lighthouse, sorry! It seemed clear in my head. Lol. I am a bit intimidated by the railing look as well as the "glass". I have isomalt but no clue how to go about using it to get the look needed! icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%