Lighthouse Cake

Decorating By limabean526 Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm by limabean526

limabean526 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all!

I am making a lighthouse cake for my friend's bridal shower in just two weeks and need some help. I have researched this to death and am planning on making it from 8" rounds, separated by cardboard rounds between, that I mount on a plywood board with a PVC pipe center rod for structural support. I will then carve the cakes into the shape of the lighthouse using a template at the top to keep me at the diameter I want. I will skim and cover it with fondant and decorate from there. My issue lies in the topper. I want it to look great but not make myself nuts over it. I have Googled this endlessly and found what I want on a lighthouse making website but it runs $85!!! I have looked into small lighthouse candle lanterns and not found one that would work (I am concerned about size - it can't exceed 6" - and weight on the cake). I have noticed that many who have done a cake like this used upside-down votive holders but am not 100% satisfied with the look of that.

Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Please help!

Thanks!

2 replies
Jennifer353 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 3

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to but could you use a string of led lights (maybe put up through the pvc pipe?) and use the melted boiled sweets to fashion the windows?

limabean526 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to but could you use a string of led lights (maybe put up through the pvc pipe?) and use the melted boiled sweets to fashion the windows?

I was referring to the beacon topper on the lighthouse, sorry! It seemed clear in my head. Lol. I am a bit intimidated by the railing look as well as the "glass". I have isomalt but no clue how to go about using it to get the look needed! icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%