Black Icing

Baking By ZaveyCakes Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 5:26pm by queenbeekristen

ZaveyCakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:26am
post #1 of 8

I am wanting to use black icing to pipe a design onto a cake and I need to know the best way to make black icing. I heard that mixing black dye into plain buttercream makes grey. So please let me know!

Thanks.

7 replies
oakleygirl77 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:40am
post #2 of 8

In the Wilton classes our teacher told us to mix a tube of the black Wilton icing in with our buttercream and then add black food color to get black icing that isn't bitter tasting.

infinitsky Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:55am
post #3 of 8

How about starting with a dark chocolate buttercream, then you can add less black color to get the black icing.

As oekleygirl77 said the wilton ready to use icings are a good choice too, specially if you want to pipe just borders or a small design. You can use them directly from the tube.

HTH

Loucinda Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #4 of 8

Americolor Super black - works perfectly. It is easier if you start with chocolate icing, but not necessary.

ZaveyCakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:09am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

drdm99 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:27am
post #6 of 8

I also use the Americolor black and usually start with a chocolate icing. I let it sit for a bit (sometimes overnight) because the black tends to deepen over time.

Renaejrk Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:33am
post #7 of 8

Americolor super black - very concentrated stuff!

queenbeekristen Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 8

Another vote for the Americolor black gel - it's a million times better than any other black gel coloring I've used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%