Mini Cricut - Question About This Comparison Chart

Decorating By drakegore Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 4:29pm by drakegore

drakegore Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:40am
post #1 of 10

it says the mini does not have the MULTI CUT FUNCTION "used to cut thru thicker materials". What thicker materials does the regular cricut cake cut thru that the mini doesn't? Does this mean you can cut thicker fondant or gumpaste on the regular but it has to be thinner for the mini? am a little confused here icon_smile.gif

thinking about getting one so i am trying to make sure a mini would work for me.

9 replies
tiggy2 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:01am
post #2 of 10

IMO the thicker the material the more jagged the cut.

drakegore Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:08am
post #3 of 10

that's what's worrying me...does it have to be even thinner in the mini?

oakleygirl77 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:37am
post #4 of 10

I have the Mini and the fondant has to be VERY thin. If it is at all thick (or normal in my opinion), then it cuts very jagged and pulls the fondant around and it doesn't look anything like the stencil it was supposed to cut out. I am using a pasta machine to roll out the fondant or gumpaste and then laying it on the cutting mat.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:14am
post #5 of 10

It has to be thin no matter which machine you have. I also use a pasta roller to get it thin enough.

lchristi27 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:28am
post #6 of 10

I think the Multi-Cut function is the tool to cut multiple shapes out of one press. Does the mini only allow you to do one shape at a time? Then do a re-roll for the next shape? I have the regular size one and haven't had a lot of time to work with it, but I think that is what it means.

Has anyone used the Kitchen Aid Fondant Sheeter for the fondant/gumpaste on the cricut?

Swanfam Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:47am
post #7 of 10

I have the Mini - I had a few problems with it pulling/lifting off the mat, so I just used more Crisco and then put the mat (with the fondant on it) in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Worked great. My fondant was about 1/8" thick. HTH!

Swanfam Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:49am
post #8 of 10

Also -@lchristi27: You can cut a whole bunch of different shapes at once, just like the original paper Cricut. Just push one button after another - they will show up on the display screen.

cake_architect Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:03am
post #9 of 10

multi-cut is where the cricut cuts, ie, a heart shape out once, then doubles back and cuts over the exact same lines again with more pressure to make sure the material is cut is all the way through. i've never actually used this feature, i usually get a clean cut the first time around. hth!

drakegore Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%