How Far In Advance To Prepare Cake

Decorating By chenya Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 6:26pm by chenya

chenya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chenya Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 7

This is my first time for decorating a cake and I want to make sure it is done right. I got asked to make a roasted pig cake for a luau at my church. I think I have the design down. I will be covering it in fondant (which I found recipe on this site). My question is how far in advance can I cover cake in fondant?

My current plan is to make butter cream and fondant over the weekend. The Cake on Monday then cool and freeze. Start Decorating Wednesday night which will probably include making the eyes, ears, tail etc. Then attaching decorations Thursday night. Cake will be delivered Friday after work. Will this work?

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 7

your plan sounds great!

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 7

Your timing sounds good.
Have you ever made the recipe you are planning to use for the fondant?

Just my experience, but I made fondant exactly once! I hated making it, and personally I thought it was awful to work with. Yes it was less expensive, but for me, soooo NOT worth it. If you find yourself in the same boat, have a back up plan......I didn't! I made mine to use at classes I was taking and found myself out of town with no supply store near by and fondant that made my class experience miserable.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 7

If you're making eyes ears and such from your homemade fondant I would make those asap...or better yet use gum paste. It dries harder faster. I found homemade fondant delicious, but it stays too soft too long for me. IMHO! Good luck with everything...sounds like a cute cake.

chenya Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:46am
post #5 of 7

Yes, I made the fondant over the weekend and tried it out on a "dummy" cake. Everyone at work loved it. Easy to work with and taste good. Can't beat that. I do plan on making more fondant this weekend. So if I make the decorations on Saturday or Sunday would that be enough drying time. Wouldn't need them till probably Thursday. Cake will be delivered the 25th.

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenya

Yes, I made the fondant over the weekend and tried it out on a "dummy" cake. Everyone at work loved it. Easy to work with and taste good. Can't beat that. I do plan on making more fondant this weekend. So if I make the decorations on Saturday or Sunday would that be enough drying time. Wouldn't need them till probably Thursday. Cake will be delivered the 25th.

You can add 1tsp. of Wilton's gum-tex to 1lb of fondant. This helps it dry faster and harder than fondant alone. It's not going to be as strong as straight gumpaste (which I think is tasteless,) but it'll taste like your regular fondant, just harder.

HTH!

chenya Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 7

Good to know. I'll look for some this weekend...making a Hobby Lobby trip. icon_smile.gif Thanks for the tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%