My Gumpaste Is Sagging

Decorating By PeggyH Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 9:30pm by kristiemarie

PeggyH Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 12

I am doing a cake for a friends daughter for this weekend and she loves ballet, so I have been trying to make a ballerina out of gum paste for the past 2 weeks and my biggest problem is that the gum paste is not holding its form. After I've rolled out my pieces (legs, arms, body and head) and they sit for a few minutes they start to lose their shape icon_sad.gif and when I attach arms or legs to the body gravity takes over and stretches them out.

I am using gumpaste i made myself. I have tried using straight gumpaste, a mix of fondant and gum paste and adding powdered sugar to the already made gum paste. What am I doing wrong??

11 replies
cheatize Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 12

Check the directions for making the gumpaste. It sounds like there's a problem with the recipe or the making of it.

Coral3 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:42am
post #3 of 12

Sounds like your gumpaste is way too soft, could you have added too much water or something?

kristiemarie Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 12

I have the same problem. I figure it must be the way I'm making it because others here do it without issue.

If you figure out what's going on, let me know. I could use the help!

cake_architect Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 12

i always recommend nicholas lodge's gumpaste recipe on this site bc i've ahd such great success with it! maybe make a batch (or half batch) today, let it mature over night, and try again tomm =D

remove X before following link! [blocked issues]

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 12

It might be that you need to add some CMC or Tylose Powder to strengthen. I have just started to make my own modelling paste from readymade fondant (1 kilo) (2.2 lb) dividing this into four parts and kneading in about 1 teasp of CMC to each part. HTH icon_wink.gif

PeggyH Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks everyone!! I have been using Wilton's recipe for gum paste, Im going to try using that one one more time and see if it was something I did wrong the first go round.

Mmmmmmcake1954 (sorry if I missed some "m"s icon_smile.gif ) what is CMC??

carmijok Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 12

Buy Wilton's pre-made gum paste and you won't have that problem. I get it at Michaels with their 40% off coupon. This stuff dries fast and hard. I used it last week to make tissue paper for a baby shower cake and I could form it and it would hold its shape in no time and dry in an hour or so. (it was rolled very thin too.)

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 12

Hi PeggyH, CMC is called Carboxy Methyl Cellulose, as I understand it this is the same as Tylose Powder (which I think you can buy in the USA through, I'm not sure if you can buy CMC there though - this is probably not going to help much for this project. icon_confused.gif

kristiemarie Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 12

can you add flavor to the premade gumpaste? Doesn't it taste bad?

carmijok Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm
post #11 of 12
Originally Posted by kristiemarie

can you add flavor to the premade gumpaste? Doesn't it taste bad?

Gum paste is usually not tastes like Necco wafers if you do. I suppose you could add flavor to it if you think it will be eaten. Most gum paste is used to create decor such as flowers or figures that need to dry hard so they can stand upright. It dries much faster and lighter than fondant...and I've used Tylose in fondant and really don't like the texture--plus I can't get it to roll as thin as I can with gum paste.

kristiemarie Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 12

I ask because many of the cakes I've made and or will make are for my daughter's daycare. And the kids want to eat it all.

I'll probably use gumpaste for my brother and his wife's baby shower so they can keep the cake topper if they want to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%