Should I Layer/torte This Cake?

Decorating By sugardugar Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 12:18am by sugardugar

sugardugar Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 7

I have an order coming up for a 12x16 (or 18 i forget my pan size) hockey rink cake. For large rectangular cakes such as this...is it common practice to have a single layer or should I double up and torte? I know one layer would feed all of them, I just want to be sure I'm doing "what's common" (I'm new).

If I *should* torte...how the hell do you move that huge cake without cracking, ahh! Should I just use 4 square cakes perhaps and build my rectangle?

Help! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
pmarks0 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 7

What does your customer expect? Did you sell a sheet cake which generally is a single layer and not torted, or are they expecting a 4" high cake? My largest so far has been 11x18 and I've torted and filled it and made it 4".

You can either use a large cookie sheet with no sides to slide underneath the top torte or you can cut the cake in half and work with two 12x9 rectangles. Just put the two back together when you ice them. Most people won't even notice.

sugardugar Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 7

it's actually a "family favour" cake and i know my family member doesn't care as it will be more than enough to feed all of them either way. i am more worried about the others eating the cake: my cakes are their own advertisements lol!

sugardugar Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 7

it's actually a "family favour" cake and i know my family member doesn't care as it will be more than enough to feed all of them either way. i am more worried about the others eating the cake: my cakes are their own advertisements lol!

cheatize Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 7

Personally, I don't like the look of a one layer, non-torted and filled cake. It's just not my style and it reminds me too much of grocery store cakes. I just don't think the look of it differentiates me from the grocery store cakes enough.

carmijok Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 7

If you're concerned about the 'advertising' then I'd go ahead and torte it! I baked a half chocolate, half vanilla rectangle cake...I just put two torted 9" squares side by side and covered with frosting. No one will know. I had to have both chocolate and vanilla frosting on mine so I disguised the line with flowers. It's in my photos if you want to see it. Good luck!

sugardugar Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:18am
post #7 of 7

thanks guys, i agree, i've never been fond of a one layer cake, and i think i've only ever had grocery store rectangular cakes so i was wondering if it seemed strange to torte it! i will do the two square cakes side-by-side thanks! moving a rectangle seems too risky and having two flavours is always helpful.

tysm![/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%