Buttercream Roses

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 4:43pm by sccandwbfan

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

Can you tell me how you get your BC to the right consistency to pipe out BC roses? I know how to make roses; I call min tattered roses because I can't get the icing to pipe out smoothly and it tears the edges of the roses.

TIA

Christy

3 replies
nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 4

Try adding piping gel (a little at a time) to your icing until the edges come out smooth.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 4

This is some information that I share with my Wilton Students.

I'd say the biggest problem isn't the consistancy, but how fast you are turning the flower nail vs how hard you pipe. I did go ahead and include my information about too dry icing, because that could be an issue as well, but if your petals are sticking okay, it's probably the first.

Problem: Ruffled/Rough egdes

Cause: You are turning your flower nail to fast while not squeezing your bag hard enough. This will cause the icing to pull and stretch thus leaving your roses petals with cracked edges.

Fix: Don't fill your bag so full that you have to struggle to pipe. You will need to squeeze your bag harder as you pipe.

--- --- ---
Problem: Petals are not sticking or are falling off the base.

Cause #1: You are not putting the large end of your tip directly against the base.

Solution #1: Be sure you are placing the large end of your tip against the base as you are piping every petal. If it is not touching the base your petals will not attach and will fall off.

Cause #2: Your icing is too dry.

Solution #2: Test your icing to see if it is too dry. Take a small amount of the stiff butter cream and roll it into a ball. Take that ball and hold it between your thumb and first finger. Squish the ball with your finger and lift away. If the icing did not stick to you at all it is too dry. The perfect icing for roses will feel sticky/tacky to the touch but you will not have a lot of it actually stick to your finger.

If your icing is too dry add about a tablespoon of Crisco to every cup of icing OR about a teaspoon of piping gel. You may need to add more, just depending on your icing, but either will add creaminess to your icing that will help it stick against the base better.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you both. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%