Why Do My Piping Bags Tear Quickly?

Decorating By cakeastic Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 3:47am by SBaker

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 12

Im talking about the regular reusable piping bag. From the first couple of uses its colour starts to peel off and before you know it, it'll have little holes in it. Its supposed to be reusable!! why do you think this happens?
Thanks.

11 replies
jcudaback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcudaback Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 12

I've seen this happen a lot with the cheaper piping bags... The thin reusable piping bags are great for whipped icing or fairly thin buttercream, but they are horrible for anything very stiff or cold. It takes a lot more pressure to pipe something that is very stiff, and if the bag isn't thick enough it will start to tear. Canvas bags can also stretch too much and absorb oils, allowing buttercream / chocolate icings to seep through.

I suggest trying some thicker polyurethane piping bags. They can be a bit more expensive, but they will last 10x as long.

The bakery I used to work in used some cheap plastic-lined canvas bags, and I would dread work when it was very cold in the morning.. I would fill the cheap bags with rock-hard buttercream and pop holes in the seams almost every time. It got to where I had to mark which bags had holes so that i could tape them up before using it... icon_sad.gif

Hope this helps icon_cool.gif

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 12

wow thats really weird, I havent had anything like that happen to me, I only buy the wilton piping bags because thats what I can get around me, The cake decorating store is on the other side of the city and I dont have a car so I make due with what I have.. What brand are you buying?

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 12

Im using Wilton too - its not supposed to be cheap quality right? But i have realised that its quite thin.

jcudaback: Can you tell a brand that has thicker ployurethane?

Thanks

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 12

My Ateco bags are good. For some reason they're more flexible, but stronger. I have lots of both brands, and I've noticed that.

Cakeastic, have you used those icing bullets? They're the best thing you can do. You don't even have to clean your bag afterwards. They stay new.

jcudaback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcudaback Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 12

Ateco is a good brand that (if I'm not mistaken) I used at the bakery I used to work at. I've used the Wilton bags at a different bakery, and I used those mostly for whipped icing because they felt so plastic-y and thin. I do remember breaking at least one or two Wilton bags with BC icing... What I would get is the tip stretching out and sending the coupler flying into my cake followed shortly by a huge glob of icing.... I use the disposable bags at home (I don't do enough at home to justify buying resuable bags) so I'm no expert with all the different types; I just know what the places I've worked at have put me through icon_razz.gif

Here is a link to some Ateco polyurethane bags. There are a little cheaper on this site than at the Ateco website (www.atecousa.net).

http://cooksdream.com/store/polyurethane-pastry-bags.html

CGoguen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CGoguen Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 12

I am surprized to hear the suggestions for Ateco. I have never used thier bags but I used thier tips....and they are a waste of money. They are not even stainless steel so I got 2 uses from them before they rusted.

imagenthatnj Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 12

I agree on the tips. They are darker and it looks like they would rust quickly. I have those too, but my full set is Wilton. Sometimes brands have good things that the other one doesn't.

I like my Ateco bags better than my Wiltons. I like my Wilton tips better than my Atecos.

On the other hand, people should probably be using more this trick so that everything lasts longer. You do waste a little plastic, but even cleanup is easier.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=588591&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

SBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBaker Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 12

Fat Daddios has recently come out with a line of reusable decorating bags. They are stretchy and quite easy to use. For me, they are much more user friendly that any of the other ones I have used in the past 30 years.

imagenthatnj Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 12

I also have these, very sturdy but pricey. I only bought two big ones of this kind.

http://www.pastrychef.com/SUPERFLEX-PASTRY-BAGS_p_1462.html

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 12

I also like ateco bags, I buy them at Sam's and they are inexpensive.

SBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBaker Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:47am
post #12 of 12

KakeKreations.com has the same Fat Daddios bags that are on pastrychef.com for $22.99 for only $10.49. That is very affordable. If it is not on the site, email them or call them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%