Vegan Buttercream For Decorating?

Decorating By lynmn2 Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 9:18pm by GenGen

lynmn2 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:03am
post #1 of 7

I have a client who wants a vegan birthday cake for her daughter who is allergic to diary, eggs and nuts.. She's requesting a piping design that includes all the disney princess and I'm wondering if theres a vegan buttercream that works well for piping the design? If not, I might have to resort to using those edible ink designs but does anyone know if this is vegan?

6 replies
leah_s Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 7

The Wilton bc recipe (veg shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla flavor + water) is vegan. Ask your vegan their position on sugar. Beet sugar is vegan, can sugar is not. Products that are cane sugar will say, "Pure Cane Sugar." If it doesn't say "cane" then the odds are pretty sure its beet sugar. You can also sub in some Earth Balance margarine for added flavor.

PS, My DD is vegan.

Sangriacupcake Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 7

Please be aware that some margarines and "non-dairy" creamers actually have milk derivatives. Fleischmann's unsalted sticks and Earth Balance are the only margarines that I have found in my area that are completely dairy-free. Soy milk works fine as a liquid in buttercreams.

We have lots of allergies in our family. BTW, there is a great little book, "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" that has numerous delicious recipes.

lynmn2 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much ladies! I will try this. I have a month before the party so lots of time to try recipes. Sangriacupcake, funny but I just bought that book and waiting to receive it in the mail - can't wait!!

imagenthatnj Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 7

Here's the vegan chef blog, Chloe Coscarelli, who won the Cupcake Wars Challenge on Food Network.

There might be good recipes there.

sillywabbitz Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 7

I just made a vegan cake for a friend. Recipe and details are here.
This was my first vegan cake experience and I was seriously nervous but it worked out well.

I used the Vegan Vanilla Sour Cream cake here on CC and I used SugarShacks butteercream recipe but used soy coffee cream by Silk as the flavoring and adding in some extra vanilla. I will say this is one of the most expensive cake recipes I've ever made. Between the vegan butter, vegan sour cream, soy coffee creamer and egg replacement powder it added up quick. I am not vegan, so I gave our friend all the left over ingredients because I knew I wouldn't be making a vegan cake again anytime soon which made the cost basically a total loss.

I checked my food colors and I am pretty sure they were vegan...the ingredients were all corn and soy based from what I could tell but for those vegan bakers out there can you confirm that food color is vegan?
I did not see any kind of gelatin listed or protein but thought I should double check for the future.

GenGen Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 7

loving this thread. i'm not vegan but i would like to try these recipes and master some so that i have the availability for others.

ps. i can't wait for the "like" button! lol i'd be all over that for this thread!! yesssiree!

Quote by @%username% on %date%