Viva Method?

Decorating By cindy402 Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm by adamsmom

cindy402 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:26am
post #1 of 9

I'm sure this has been posted before, and I am new to this site... what is the Viva method? I need to make a camo cake and I know what I want to do but I don't know what the Viva method is I keep hearing about. Can someone please help? I think I have an idea, but want to be sure.

Thanks

cindy

8 replies
suzied Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:14am
post #2 of 9

Never done the viva method, but from what i understand, its once after the butter cream crusts on yr cake, you take a viva paper towel and smooth your cake with it. I like the Melvira method though ( with the high density paint roller) I find dipping the spatula into a little milk helps alot to smooth a cake

adamsmom Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 9

I use the viva method and it works great for me. You have to make sure you are using a buttercream that crusts, otherwise it will not work. Tonedna (sorry if I misspelt) has a bunch of videos on you tube which I found helpful. So what I do is after I have my final coat of icing on, I set the cake aside and let the icing crust. Once it's crusted then I begin with the sides placing the paper towel on the side and using a fondant smoother up against the cake. It will take some time for you to get an idea of how soft/hard you will need to press, but that comes with practice! After I'm finished with the sides I move to the top and finish. Hope this helps! icon_lol.gif

sugardugar Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 9

i asked this in a previous viva method thread but the thread was nearly dead so no replies lol...here i try again.

my icing never feels dry enough to do this, and sticks/lift off my cake.

my standard recipe is:

1 stick butter
1 stick shortening
1 tsp vanilla (sometimes) or w/e flavour
4 cups sugar

no milk or cream added as it's already soft.

is this just not a crusting recipe? should i use all shortening?

ellentwn Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 9

Sugardugar, the recipe you listed is close to the one I have used, but difference is 1 1/2 cps shortening and 3 TBLSP of merigue powder or you can use Dream Whip. You may need to add 1/2 and 1/2 or milk. Crusts wonderfully.

warriorchic8484 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 9

cindy402 - For a camo cake, if your planning on piping diffrent sections of color on your cake you need to smooth with the viva method while you go. If you wait to do it all at the end the parts you did first will be too dry. When I do a camo cake I pipe 4 or 5 sections, then go back and smooth. It takes about 15 mins for BC to crust enough to smooth. Hope this helps!

erhil Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 9

My recipe is:

1 cup shortening
1/2 cup water
2 pounds confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract

Beat the shortening for 8 minutes.
Add water, sugar and beat for 3 mimutes then add extract and beat for 3 minutes more and ready for use. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

adamsmom Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 9

My recipe is called "Buttercream Dream" and is listed under the recipes. This is from memory but here goes....
1 stick butter
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup shortening
3 tsp vanilla extract (clear)
1 bag confectioners sugar (2lb)
5-6 tbsp of milk

I mix in that order with butter and shortening first. I beat the heck out of it for at least 10 min (more like 15). Then add the vanilla and beat for a little bit. Then add sugar in a little at a time making sure to incorporate thouroughly. Add milk towards the end as the mixture gets "drier". I ususally end up with 5 tbsp added.

I love this recipe because it's easy to make and not too sweet...just the right everything! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%