Thick Bakery-Style Sugar Cookie Recipe

Baking By lanilani Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 1:19am by newmansmom2004

lanilani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanilani Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 1:08am
post #1 of 6

I am looking for a really good, bakery-style sugar cookie recipe. I want to make thick sugar cookie cut-outs without them spreading so much. I have use the NFSC recipe, but my cookies still spread when I try to make them thick. I chill the dough and everything, but my cookies still spread.

5 replies
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 1:20am
post #2 of 6

Any cookie dough with leavening is going to spread at least a little when baked. I use the basic rolled sugar cookie recipe from Karen's Cookies. She has lots of tutorials, too!

http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Decorating-Recipes_ep_68-1.html#recipe01

ETA: This recipe doesn't have any leavening and the cookies really keep their shape when baking.

dcb157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcb157 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:28am
post #3 of 6

I love this sugar cookie recipe. It always turns out great and has instructions on how to make softer cookies or stiffer cookies for cut outs.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sugar-cookies-recipe

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:07am
post #4 of 6

Here is a thick, sugar cookie recipe that I got from a bouquet class. They hold their shape really well as long as the dough is properly chilled. We also made some using the shortbread cookie recipe on Joy of Baking website http://joyofbaking.com/shortbreads/shortbreadcookies.html.

SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE

Cream together the following :

1 Cup *White Margarine ( I used regular)
1 Cup Crisco
3 Cups Granulated Cane Sugar
4 large eggs
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Flavor
1 Tablespoon Butter Flavor

Sift the following dry ingredients and add gradually to above mixture. Mix until blended.

7 Cups ALL-Purpose Flour (or enough flour until dough pulls from sides of bowl)
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt

Chill at least 6 hours.

Roll 1/4 recipe between 2 sheets of Parchment Paper, cut out cookies. Slide cookies and paper onto cookie sheet and bake 8-12 minutes, 325 degrees. Bake until cookies look slightly brown on edges.

Makes about 3 dz 3 Cookies

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:16am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanilani

I am looking for a really good, bakery-style sugar cookie recipe. I want to make thick sugar cookie cut-outs without them spreading so much. I have use the NFSC recipe, but my cookies still spread when I try to make them thick. I chill the dough and everything, but my cookies still spread.

If you use any leavening in your recipe, leave it out. After you've cut the cookies, put them on a cold cookie sheet and refrigerate them NO LESS THAN 30 MINUTES. This is the only way I've had cookies come out of the oven exactly the size and shape they went in. Now I'm LOVING decorated sugar cookies!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:19am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanilani

If you use any leavening in your recipe, leave it out. After you've cut the cookies, put them on a cold cookie sheet and refrigerate them NO LESS THAN 30 MINUTES. This is the only way I've had cookies come out of the oven exactly the size and shape they went in. Now I'm LOVING decorated sugar cookies!!

Meant to add this - here's my recipe:
2 c. butter
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. flavoring (I use lemon)
6 c. flour - mix in 5 cups, then knead in the last cup.

Refrigerate dough at least 2 hours. Roll out cookies, put on cookie sheet BACK into the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%