Fondant & Tylose Question

Decorating By CGoguen Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 1:34pm by CGoguen

CGoguen Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 8

So, I have a cake to make that requires about 50 gumpaste butterflys. These will have thier wings at different angles, to look like they are flying. The problem is...they need to be red. I tried coloring gumpaste...and that didnt last long. I do have pre-colored red fondant that is the perfect color. If I add tylose, does it make it as strong as gumpaste. Ie...will it work for this project? If so, does it have to be made right away or can I wrap it well in plastic wrap and keep it airtight to keep it from drying out?

Any other tips would be great!

7 replies
debbief Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 8

I use fondant/tylose mix all the time in place of gum paste. The only thing I would suggest is not to mix it too much in advance. I find, no matter how well I wrap it, it gets hard. Maybe I just use too much tylose...not sure, I just sprinkle a light layer on the fondant and work it in. But you can make small batches as needed. It doesn't take any time to sprinkle it on and knead it in.

icer101 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 8

HI, just add about 1-1 1/2 tsp. of tylose to 1 lb. of your red fondant. I usually let it set up over nite. Some use it right away. Yes, be sure to wrap it in saran wrap(i roll it into round sausages) and put in freezer bag to keep it fresh. Use small amt. of shortening on your hand and work into the paste when you go to use it. Keep it conditioned this way as you use it. hth Some people just spinkle certain amt. into the fondant and work it in as they use it. I have done both ways. Some people on this site, use corn starch to strengthen it and no tylose. I can see that happening also. I do , sometimes use the tylose and the cornstarch when i make it this way. works great also.

CGoguen Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 8

Awesome! I will pick some up and play with it well in advance. This is for my brothers wedding cake and I will be cutting the butterflys with a Cricut Cake. It is just that darn red that is driving me to stress.

Dayti Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:10am
post #5 of 8

If your fondant and tylose mixture goes hard (despite keeping it as airtight as possible), you can zap it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time, then re-knead. It usually goes soft again.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:13am
post #6 of 8

I never use gum paste for just this reason. Plus it's icky. I just sprinkle some tylose over the fondant, or directly onto your work surface in place of ps and knead it in well. Wrap up in plastic and let sit while you get the rest of your stuff ready. It works better than gum paste IMO because it's soft and workable enough to get perfectly smooth yet keeps it's shape right away as soon as you're done messing with it.

If you find that it gets too hard if you let it sit, just wash your hands in very warm water for about a minute then dry them of course and immediately start smashing and kneading it and it will soften up again!

Renaejrk Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:15am
post #7 of 8

If you are using it in the cricut, make sure you use a little extra tylose so you can roll it super thin. I use fondant with tylose all the time, but when I tried it with my cricut it was a nightmare! I added more tylose and after I rolled it as thin as I could I stuck it in the freezer a bit and that helped.

Make the wings as far ahead of time as possible so if you have any problems you have time to fix it. Good luck!

CGoguen Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 8

I tried fondant in the cricut yesterday, no tylose. I put it in the freezer first for 5 minutes and used high pressure and it cut no problem. Even cricut recommends using the freezer.

As for making them ahead, I can only do this 4 days in advance as the wedding is in another province and I need to fly to get there. I was going to bring my cricut with me and hope that the airline does not lose my luggage. I have considered making them before I go and bringing the butterflies but I dont know of any way I can pack them that they will not be completely destroyed by the air travel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%