May I Vent?

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm by jenmat

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 14

What a day! As much as I try to understand people, I really can't. I find myself more and more confused. What is it about holidays that gets people all weird?

So today's Valentine's Day. I look in the case to see what stuff I need to work on and looks like there's nothing but Valentine's stuff in there. That's fine, I'll just do some basic, primary color balloon cakes to fill the holes. First two cakes that get picked are those primary balloon cakes. Guess what they want written on them? "Happy Valentine's Day!"

Are you kidding me? You couldn't even have chosen some of the feminine floral cakes for that? Had to be the boyish cakes? Then of course the next questions I get are "Do you have anything for boys? All I see are Valentine's cakes." So this lady settles for a Valentine's cake. I ask what she wants written on it. "Happy Valentine's Day."

Are you kidding me???

Then there's the people that ask if you have something you don't have and they respond with "But XYZ store in the next town does." So go to that store!

Then it's so busy that I can't even get everything done. Orders get done, but there's still holes in the case that need filling. (I work in a grocery store, can't you tell?) My supervisor comes in and sees this. She says, "You've got so-and-so working with you tomorrow, so it won't be as bad." I know tomorrow won't be as bad as today, tomorrow isn't Valentine's Day. I needed help today. Her help tomorrow doesn't fill the case now.

I feel like I don't have the words to express my frustration right now. Why oh why can't I have a real job????

13 replies
Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 14

It is called Humans!!! Lets wait till the last minute and decide that we want a cake, cookie, pastry - etc. And I want that just like Burger King - MY WAY!!!

I am so sorry!! And their selections really dont make a lot of sense at all. A couple girls at my job went to go tan at lunch and said there wasnt hardly an open parking spot at two drug stores (CVS and Walgreens).

I think retail sometimes doesnt schedule nearly enough staff on and around holidays. I picked up all I needed for today last week to avoid the rush and all the people I would hate to see WalMart today.

Hope your day tomorrow is much better.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 14

I'm sorry you're having a frustrating day. Whenever I'm at the grocery store, I always visit the bakery dept just to see what they have. If I can catch the eye of the decorator on duty, I always smile and say, "Pretty cakes!"

So here I am, strolling through your department, saying to you, "Hey, those are really pretty cakes!"

Hope your day gets better. icon_smile.gif

(((hugs)))

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 14

Of course then there's people like me who tried to make cupcakes for her son's school class last night...they looked done...I took them out and they collapsed, still gooey on top. GRRR. So I was like "Oh forget this" and went this morning to buy cupcakes at (shhhh Sam's Club) to send to school.

And then instead of making a delectable dessert for my hubby I bought premade cheesecake.

Put me down with the "buying sweets on Valentine's Day" group. haha. *Blush*

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 14

I feel your pain, as a store decorator, it never ceases to amaze me what people ask for. Then, on top of that, the people who take the orders don't have a clue what can and can't be done, some don't even know the difference in Butter Cream and Better Cream, so I usually have to call the person and ask for clarification on their order, spelling of names, colors etc.

Rose, we need to hit MN Legislature up! Maybe we can eventually get licensed home kitchens. I know the first thing I would do, QUIT my day job!

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 14

lol...your vent so reminded me of the good ol' days when I worked at a grocery chain bakery, especially the "filling the holes" reference...
And Yes Hobbycaker I worked with many a bakery clerk who couldn't take an order to save their own lives- horrible handwriting, mis-spellings, I especially loved it when they would forget to write the customers name or phone number down and then also forget that they even took an order when questioned about it icon_rolleyes.gif
Just keep your chin up girl, this day shall pass soon enough! icon_biggrin.gif

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 14

I check for correct comma usage and change "will" to "shall" and back again for a living. I am always lamenting "why oh why cant i just play with buttercream for a living!??!"

Funny how perception works, huh? Sorry for your less-than-Happy-Valentine's Day. Hang in there

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Why oh why can't I have a real job????

Then get one. This isn't a communist country where you can't change careers.

I know, about 2-3 dozen applications/resumes/emails sent out. Not one call back.

*sigh*

Saving up for school. If Debi can do it, so can I!!!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCaker

I feel your pain, as a store decorator, it never ceases to amaze me what people ask for. Then, on top of that, the people who take the orders don't have a clue what can and can't be done, some don't even know the difference in Butter Cream and Better Cream, so I usually have to call the person and ask for clarification on their order, spelling of names, colors etc.

Rose, we need to hit MN Legislature up! Maybe we can eventually get licensed home kitchens. I know the first thing I would do, QUIT my day job!

Did we work together at one point? Because your post sounds a lot like what I go through everyday!!!

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:05am
post #10 of 14

Funny!

My biggest complaint is that I don't have any equipment, (airbrush, edible images dec ons, etc.) so I have to draw everything by hand, making it more stressful, I am creative, but not that artistic! So what do the order takers do, they tell the customer "Oh yes, our decorator can do that, no problem" (sighing and shaking head)

Hope you have a better day tomorrow, Happy V-day!

jcudaback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcudaback Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:

Then there's the people that ask if you have something you don't have and they respond with "But XYZ store in the next town does." So go to that store!

I've heard this one too many times, and it's always one of the most frustrating. They think that you, the decorator, is super-concerned about the business from ONE customer at a major retailer and will do anything to keep them at your store.

Keep your head up, it will get better icon_smile.gif I never bothered to worry about holes in the case (unless it was completely empty) until all my orders were done. I always tried to keep spares in the freezer for busy days like that, so that my manager could just pull a few from the freezer (and get her pick of what went out!) rather than gripe to me about it not being full.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:

What a day! As much as I try to understand people, I really can't. I find myself more and more confused. What is it about holidays that gets people all weird?

So today's Valentine's Day. I look in the case to see what stuff I need to work on and looks like there's nothing but Valentine's stuff in there. That's fine, I'll just do some basic, primary color balloon cakes to fill the holes. First two cakes that get picked are those primary balloon cakes. Guess what they want written on them? "Happy Valentine's Day!"

Are you kidding me? You couldn't even have chosen some of the feminine floral cakes for that? Had to be the boyish cakes? Then of course the next questions I get are "Do you have anything for boys? All I see are Valentine's cakes." So this lady settles for a Valentine's cake. I ask what she wants written on it. "Happy Valentine's Day."

Are you kidding me???

Then it's so busy that I can't even get everything done. Orders get done, but there's still holes in the case that need filling. (I work in a grocery store, can't you tell?) My supervisor comes in and sees this. She says, "You've got so-and-so working with you tomorrow, so it won't be as bad." I know tomorrow won't be as bad as today, tomorrow isn't Valentine's Day. I needed help today. Her help tomorrow doesn't fill the case now.

I feel like I don't have the words to express my frustration right now. Why oh why can't I have a real job????

Hon I feel your pain. These are the main reasons I no longer work in a grocery store bakery. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:

She says, "You've got so-and-so working with you tomorrow, so it won't be as bad." I know tomorrow won't be as bad as today, tomorrow isn't Valentine's Day. I needed help today. Her help tomorrow doesn't fill the case now.

icon_lol.gif This part had me cracking up because it happens in the corporate world, too. We'd go to our manager with an issue and ask "how should will handle this?" and get an answer of "Well, we're working on a program that should be ready in about 6 months that will take care of that."

Being the resident smart a$$ in the bunch, I'd always ask, "that's fascinating to know but how do you want us to handle it TODAY????" icon_twisted.gif

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm
post #14 of 14

Reading this reminds me of why I'm so sick. I actually MISS that! I really thrived on the challenge of "getting it all done" and filling the case, as all the cakes I JUST did went out and the others sat there. And the silly customers to tell stories about.
Yep, definitely a sick-o here.
Chin up, ya got another whole year before it comes again, AND you may just have another job by then!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%