Discount For More Cookies?

Baking By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 7:39pm by OneCreativeCookie

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, this is my first time posting on the cookie board, so forgive me if this has been asked before! I have a customer that wants a few dozen custom cookies decorated with Facebook symbols and "status updates". They sound like they would be pretty involved to do. I told her our price per custom cookie, and she asked if the price per cookie would be less since she was ordering a few dozen as opposed to a smaller amount. Would you charge less, or would it be the same price per cookie no matter how many they ordered? TIA!

6 replies
leily Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 7

a discount for a few dozen on custom cookies? I would have probably laughed at her on the phone (ok, maybe not out loud, but i would have in my head)

The only way someone gets a discount from me is if they are ordering a LARGE number, and large to me not them (like 20doz cookies that are not custom) and they are a standing order. either daily or weekly. 3 dozen cookies i can get out of one or two batches of my recipe. There is no cost savings for me buying ingredients to do one or two batches. Only when i get into A LOT more and i know that i can order in bulk.

leily Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 7

a discount for a few dozen on custom cookies? I would have probably laughed at her on the phone (ok, maybe not out loud, but i would have in my head)

The only way someone gets a discount from me is if they are ordering a LARGE number, and large to me not them (like 20doz cookies that are not custom) and they are a standing order. either daily or weekly. 3 dozen cookies i can get out of one or two batches of my recipe. There is no cost savings for me buying ingredients to do one or two batches. Only when i get into A LOT more and i know that i can order in bulk.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 7

LOL, thankfully it was through email! icon_smile.gif

Yeah, that is what I thought too, just thought I would check and see what is typical, since we don't have much experience with selling custom cookies yet. I know that with the kind of cookies she wants, it's going to be very involved and take a lot of time to do them, which is why we price these kind by the cookie rather than by the dozen.

Corrie76 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:13am
post #5 of 7

I would explain to her that due to the nature of the design- your price more reflects the time that will be invested in the decorating process than the actual product...although if this customer is already wondering about a discount for just a few dozen...that may be a sign of potential PITA-ness. I have a lady who frequently has me make her cookies and she always orders a minimum of 100- I give her a small(20%) discount but I know she will come to me for more in the next month without fail and she always tips anyways icon_smile.gif so I really don't lose out in the end.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:28am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the advice MadameRaz! I just emailed her back and that's basically what I told her, that custom decorated cookies are priced per cookie because of the time and detail that goes into decorating each individual one. We'll see what she says, I'm not sure if that will be a deal breaker for her or not.

OneCreativeCookie Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 7

I offer a 10% discount for any order of 90+ of the same cookie (same shape, colors, decoration). I price the cookie based on the design/complexity and then take the 10% off. I figure that at that quantity I am able to mix my colors less frequently and "get in the groove" so there is a small time/labor savings for me. I purchase materials in bulk at Sam's Club but the material cost of the cookie is insignificant in my experience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%