Styrofoam--Which Tier?

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 2 Mar 2011 , 3:38am by Vanessa7

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all,

I want to make a four tier topsy turvy cake with styrofoam wedges cut on an angle. One of those tiers will be fake. Should it be the top tier or the bottom? I would prefer to make the bottom fake since it means a lot less cake that I will have to bake, but will the styrofoam support the weight of 3 other tiers--plus styrofoam wedges?

And also, what sizes would you suggest for a topsy turvy wedge cake? I was thinking 6, 8, 10, 12. I know they looked a little cramped normally, but since the tiers will be on a slant, I figured no one could really tell.

Thoughts?

11 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:36am
post #2 of 12

My only concern with doing the bottom foam would be the cake being top heavy.

tguegirl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:19am
post #3 of 12

Would you suggest just the top tier styrofoam? Wouldn't save me too much baking. sigh!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:29am
post #4 of 12

I use foam on the bottom A LOT top make cake bigger then the customer actually needs. It can handle the weight. My fake tiers are almost always on the bottom of at least three other real tiers. Then put a dowel through the whole thing.

Whichever layer needs to be fake to get the right amount of servings is the layer that should be fake.

tguegirl Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 12:44am
post #5 of 12

Thanks tryingcake! I think I'll try foam on the bottom. i just don't want to make tons of extra cake, filling, and frosting!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #6 of 12

It will hold the weight but I agree with the above poster that cautioned you it will be top heavy...you will have to be very careful transporting it and carrying it.

How many servings do you need? I'd almost think it would be best to bake the bottom one or two tiers out of cake and then do the rest in styrofoam...I mean if you are doing styrofoam anyway, it shouldn't matter if you do one tier, or three, in it.

tguegirl Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:22am
post #7 of 12

Unfortunately, I didn't buy cake dummies in the 6 inch or 8 inch size. What if I built it on site? Would that work with a 12 inch fake cake if I don't have to move it?

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 12

I ALWAYS assemble on site. I don't think that would be a problem for you.

tryingcake Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 12

I promise, the bottom tier being fake can handle it. You should always be careful transporting an already assembled cake, and this is no different. I rarely assemble on site. Sometimes, but rarely.

tryingcake Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 12

I promise, the bottom tier being fake can handle it. You should always be careful transporting an already assembled cake, and this is no different. I rarely assemble on site. Sometimes, but rarely.

tguegirl Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:14am
post #11 of 12

Thank you all for your help! I decided to make just a regular four tier, for design reasons. The bottom 12 inch was fake, and it held beautifully! I did transport the bottom 3 tiers together and added the fourth one on-site because I had to drive this cake 2 hours in the backseat of a car. It was wobbling with just 3 tiers, so I'm glad I decided to put the last tier on there.

It's the jungle cake I just added to my photos. Thanks again!! icon_smile.gif

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 2 Mar 2011 , 3:38am
post #12 of 12

Your jungle cake is absolutely adorable! You did a very nice job on it. BTW, all your cakes are amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%