Help Open A Bakery Near Austin Tx

Business By JenniferHeath Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 12:01am by CWR41

JenniferHeath Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 5

I am in the middle of opening a bakery in Smithville, TX. It's about 30-40 minutes from Austin, TX. I need help!!!! I have the building picked out and they are even going to hold it for a down deposit for me. I have a person who is going to help me with financing. Okay, here is where I need help. What types of equipment do I need? Does anyone have any great scratch recipes they would be willing to give? Any ideas of how much my bills would be so I could figure my business plan? How do I change recipes to metric...isn't it better to weigh instead of measure? So many questions...I would appreciate any help icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Dayti Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 5

So, what research HAVE you done in order to open a bakery? I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but there are LOTS of things to think about before you even consider signing on a lease.
First I would suggest reading a good few pages in this Business Forum - you will gather a lot of information that way.

metria Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 5

ouch. looks like the first thing you'll need is a tough skin if you want to ask questions on CC.

bellaudreycakes Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 5

Nobody can tell you what your bills would be you would have to call and see what the utilities usually run for that building, also add phone, internet, insurance, rent, supplies, etc..

As far as equipment goes I just bought a Blodgett oven which was $3,000 sinks for about $500, and don't forget fridge and freezer along with mixer and display cases? It all adds up, sure you can look for used equipment which may save you some.

Is the place you are looking at already have a kitchen in it? If not you could be spending quite a lot to upgrade it to what the health and building inspectors are ok with. I was just quoted $3,300 for plumbing in my place icon_surprised.gif, hoping I can find a better estimate but those are things you will have to think about my place had pre existing plumbing this is just to put sinks in and fix some piping.

My Insurance is $500 a year, put about $600 in for electric work. Also don't forget boxes, and all the little things you don't think of, they add up.

I would first start with calling your Health Department and Building inspector, then call an electrician and plumber for some quotes! Good luck to you!!!! icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:01am
post #5 of 5

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. I'm certain the building owner will hold the place for you with your deposit, including full monthly leases and utilities for the many months that it will take you to find your recipes, equipment, complete your business plan, and practice.

That's great you've got help with financing, however, I'd let the building go until you're ready. What recipes have you been using, and what type of equipment have you needed so far? Someone else's equipment needs may not be the required needs for your type of business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%