Fbct Colour Merge- Not Intended!!

Decorating By Sam_paggers Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm by TexasSugar

Sam_paggers Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

Sorry if this is elsewhere but the search thing keeps giving me topics that are no longer availible.

Just a quick one.... I tried my first FBCT on Tuesday. It set in the fridge overnight and I added it the cake. I was so proud, it looked so pretty (the Manchester United FC badge), I took to my boyfriends house for his birthday and we ate, danced and were merry. There was still half a cake left on Friday and the red, yellow and black colours had merged and it looked like an awful mess on top of the cake.

The point of the story is- why did this happen and can I prevent it in future?

Many thanks
xxx

6 replies
whisperingmadcow Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Sam!

I have had this happen before. I find that if I leave the transfer in the freezer overnight, that the black of the outlines will run into the lighter colors of the transfer. I find that if I freeze the transfer just long enough to get it a little bit hard, one hour max, then put it on the cake, the black will bleed less. I think its the condensation that forms on the transfer when it starts to defrost that does it in.

Hope that helps!

Marianna46 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 7

Great tip! I've had this happen, too. Condensation is an especially big problem in the hot, humid climate where I live.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 7

Black will bleed or any dark color after a couple of days, it is just because of the amount of coloring used.

After my FBCTs come out of the freezer I usually smooth over them with viva paper towels. When you pull the paper towel away you will often see the picture on the paper towel. I guess it helps blot up the excess color that is on the surface from the moisture/condensation.

Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Black will bleed or any dark color after a couple of days, it is just because of the amount of coloring used.

After my FBCTs come out of the freezer I usually smooth over them with viva paper towels. When you pull the paper towel away you will often see the picture on the paper towel. I guess it helps blot up the excess color that is on the surface from the moisture/condensation.

thumbs_up.gif I do this too, in addition to only freezing the FBCT for about 30 minutes-one hour and then transferring to cake. I remember when I first stumbled upon the whole FBCT thing and was so excited and I made a mickey mouse for a friends cake and I thought,"well since I have these colors already to go I'll just make a few more mickey mouses and keep them in the freezer for future use..." I made extras and once they were froze, I placed them into zip-loc bags and kept them in the freezer....well it only took about two weeks but staying the freezer ruined all of them and the colors got all weird looking and the black parts on mickey got this weird texture, I took one out and put it on a piece of bread to see if thawing the image out would help, it then got all runny and colors bleeding everywhere, what a mess.....learned my lesson on that one!

Sam_paggers Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:39am
post #6 of 7

I had read somewhere to leave them overnight but it makes sense to do alot less with the condensation. I also love the idea of 'blotting' the image after.

Just a shame that when my boyfriends friends came over a the weekend, the remains of the cake just looked a mess!

Best go try again icon_smile.gif

Thanks all for the advice

Sam
xxx

TexasSugar Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 7

From Wed to Friday, I'm thinking it was just that the colors had alot of coloring in them, and less to do with the actual fact that you froze the transfer. The condensation and running would have happend not long after it came out of the feezer.

Experiment sometime, spread some white icing out on a piece of wax paper then pipe some lines on one using darker color buttercream and watch and see how long it will take for those colors to bleed. With in two to three days you will probably see some bleeding from the color onto the lines.

Also in my experince, keeping something closed up in an air tight container will cause bleeding issues as well. I did some fondant turkeys years ago. I painted the eyes and eyebrows on some and stored them in an air tight container. The next day the eyes and eyebrows had bleed. I had some I had done another time, that were stored only in a cardboard cake box, and for years the painted eyes/eyebrows never bleed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%