'weight Watchers' Soda Cake From Scratch?

Baking By zespri Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 5:49am by zespri

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:41am
post #1 of 5

So I am struggling a bit with doing weight watchers while making cakes. I keep licking my fingers! I know I'm supposed to be chewing sugar free gum while I am in the kitchen, but the devil on my shoulder says I'll be fine and don't need it. Then I end up shovelling gobs of icing into my mouth... I'M WEAK!!!

Anyway, I googled WW and cakes, and found a few threads on a 'soda cake'. But the only reference I can find to it is for a boxed cake mix.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make such a low cal recipe from scratch?

4 replies
sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 5

I feel your pain I'm on WW too & making cakes is hard. My downfall is having to level cakes because I end up eating the cut offs icon_cry.gif

I can't help you on the soda cake but I do have a low fat recipe you may like to try.

Really Low Fat Banana Muffins

125g Wholemeal SR Flour
25g Plain Flour
60g Medium Ground Oatmeal
150g Soft Brown Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
2tsp Mixed Spice or Cinnamon
3 Medium Sized Ripe Bananas
100g Apple Sauce
1 Egg
100ml Skimmed Milk

1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. In a seperate bowl mash the bananas to a paste. Mix the apple sauce into the bananas. Add the egg beating with a fork & then beat in the milk.
3.Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients & pour the wet ingredients into them. Mix well to a thick batter consistency.
4.Divide into 12 large muffin cases. Don't worry if you think you have too much mix in them as they don't rise too well.
5. Bake on 170c for 20 - 25 mins depending on your oven. They are quite a sticky stodgy cake & may not appear cooked so try them with a cake tester. Leave on a wire rack to cool. If you try to eat them before they're completely cold you'll lose half your cake to the wrapper

Also, they don't keep more than a few days but do freeze really well. They're also nice if you add a handful of sultanas to the mix too.

I'm not sure of the points system you're using but we've just changed to propoints here in the UK & they work out at 3 propoints each.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear

I feel your pain I'm on WW too & making cakes is hard. My downfall is having to level cakes because I end up eating the cut offs icon_cry.gif

I can't help you on the soda cake but I do have a low fat recipe you may like to try.

Really Low Fat Banana Muffins

125g Wholemeal SR Flour
25g Plain Flour
60g Medium Ground Oatmeal
150g Soft Brown Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
2tsp Mixed Spice or Cinnamon
3 Medium Sized Ripe Bananas
100g Apple Sauce
1 Egg
100ml Skimmed Milk

1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
2. In a seperate bowl mash the bananas to a paste. Mix the apple sauce into the bananas. Add the egg beating with a fork & then beat in the milk.
3.Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients & pour the wet ingredients into them. Mix well to a thick batter consistency.
4.Divide into 12 large muffin cases. Don't worry if you think you have too much mix in them as they don't rise too well.
5. Bake on 170c for 20 - 25 mins depending on your oven. They are quite a sticky stodgy cake & may not appear cooked so try them with a cake tester. Leave on a wire rack to cool. If you try to eat them before they're completely cold you'll lose half your cake to the wrapper

Also, they don't keep more than a few days but do freeze really well. They're also nice if you add a handful of sultanas to the mix too.

I'm not sure of the points system you're using but we've just changed to propoints here in the UK & they work out at 3 propoints each.

WW & being a professional cake maker sucks! Hard is not the word, but I've still managed to lose 10 1/2lbs in 6 weeks (even with sneaky tastes here and there). Made my OH a gorgeous cake for Valentines, but I can't eat any until tomorrow when my PP weeklies re-set lol!

zespri Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 6:35am
post #4 of 5

yummy looking muffins, thank you! I have never seen wholemeal self raising flour though.

zespri Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:49am
post #5 of 5

hmm... I was going to make this tonight, but just looking at the recipe I see it says 'ground oatmeal'. I had it in my head that it was rolled oats. I've never heard of ground oatmeal, what is it? What can I use instead?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%