Wilton Pans - Sides Not Straight!

Decorating By dmo4ab Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 2:07pm by dmo4ab

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 7

All of the pans I have are Wilton Decorator Prefered. Some of the them stack/nest together, some don't. I paid attention lately and my cakes baked with the stackable pans have the dreaded, ugly bulge in the middle, despite the icing dam and settling. I know it's got to be due to the shape of the side of the pan not being perfectly straight. If the pans don't nest, the cake is beautiful.
Any suggestions to best overcome this - other than trash them and buy another brand of pans? I'm only a hobby baker, but have bought up nearly every size of at least round and square. I'd really rather not it all be for waste.

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:56am
post #2 of 7

Wilton at it's best is a designed primarily for the homemaker/hobbyist. While there's nothing wrong with that, you do have to understand the limitations of such products. Once you reach a certain level of skill and expectation of how a professional cake should look, you just have higher standards. And you need better pans.

Magic Line will not disappoint.

Rainyvv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainyvv Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:03am
post #3 of 7

This happend to me the first time i baked a cake. I just took a long serated knife and trimmied i round. After that I made sure my pans had straigt edges. It's a pain but if you don't want to trash them, this is what you'll have to do.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:26am
post #4 of 7

Their 9 inch rounds are the worst. I purchased Magic Line 9 inch rounds recently at Sur la Table for less than nine dollars each. I can compensate for the other rounds, but not for the 9 inch ones. They're too far off.

Take a look at their square pans, too. Wilton squares have rounded corners.

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:49am
post #5 of 7

Wilton squares are the worst!!!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:12am
post #6 of 7

I traded my Wiltons for magic line. Love them!!! I want their rounds now too!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks y'all. I agree that the 9" round is the worst! I have an 8" square just frozen for a cake this weekend. I think I will just try trimming it. In the meantime, I'll look into finding some Magic Line pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%