Sheet Cakes Alongside Wedding Cake

Decorating By Corrie76 Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 3:54pm by costumeczar

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:26am
post #1 of 14

Ahhh the wonders of FB icon_rolleyes.gif . I just saw pictures, on FB, of a wedding reception I made a wedding cake for. When I delivered the cake, every thing looked so nice and the cake table was very nicely decorated and actually in a prominent area at the venue thumbs_up.gif ...The cake turned out great, the bride was there, setting up, and was so pleased with it. So today I see that after I delivered the cake, two other cakes were set on both sides of mine- both were sheet cakes and it was obvious that they were decorated by different people as the colors were totally different from each other and from my cake and didn't have coordinating designs! The color theme was black, white and hot pink...and let me tell you there was off-white, pale pink, bright salmon pink and dark gray going on (and some lumpy bumpy home-made lookin' blobby icing jobs)! Some of my friends, who were there, reported to me today that they were so disappointed as they were looking forward to wedding cake but ended up getting served some of the sheet cake instead.
I know I have no right to be unhappy- the cake was great (hot pink and black hearts in my photos), the bride was thrilled. I'm just aggrivated that the couple just didn't get one cake large enough for everyone instead of what looked like a cake pot-luck! I wish I could post the picture on here so you all can see how wrong it looked to have three different cakes with three different styles on the cake table! Ok- done venting now thanks for listening icon_lol.gif

13 replies
CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:41am
post #2 of 14

and now think of all the bad word of mouth you will get... did you try so and sos cake at the wedding yeah it looked great but tasted horrible... alot of people have a clause in their contract that their cake will be the only cake served so that doesnt happen...
sorry icon_sad.gif

cakelover25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover25 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:43am
post #3 of 14

I can sure understand how frustrated you must be. If they had to do the homemade cakes, they could have at least just done all white so they didn't detract from your cake so much!

Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

and now think of all the bad word of mouth you will get... did you try so and sos cake at the wedding yeah it looked great but tasted horrible... alot of people have a clause in their contract that their cake will be the only cake served so that doesnt happen...
sorry icon_sad.gif

Actually, it might have been a blessing that they were all out in the open so that everyone could see that there was more than one cake from more than one person!

CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

sorry icon_sad.gif

Actually, it might have been a blessing that they were all out in the open so that everyone could see that there was more than one cake from more than one person!

yeah good point! And that the colors were sooo different from you. hopefully everyone knew!

Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 14

icon_sad.gif apparently, everyone who was at the reception thought I made the sheet cakes as well. I've just talked with four different people who were at the reception (we live in a small town so it's almost too easy to get the scoop on just about any event), and they all said that they assumed I made the sheet cakes also and apparantly others at the reception are under the impression that I made all the cakes. One of my co-workers said the sheet cake they got was really good and that's why they thought I made it...I guess I should be glad that the other cakes tasted good but I'm still bummed out about it... thumbsdown.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:

icon_sad.gif apparently, everyone who was at the reception thought I made the sheet cakes as well.

And this is a good reason to have a sole-source line in your contract. Yes i know there are exceptions (such as if you don't make a certain cake or flavor etc... that they want from soomeone else, but it's better to make amendments to a contract for such an instance)

Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 14

I really wonder though how such a contract could really be enforced...it's not like the cake police are patrolling the reception halls to maintain order and justice icon_lol.gif
Even in my case with the FB photo evidence, if I had a signed contract stating that I would be the sole cake provider and then see this, really what would my recourse be? it's not like I have the authority to fine them or something, I mean maybe if my last name was Ben-Israel or something I'd be able to do something...

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:10am
post #9 of 14
Quote:

I really wonder though how such a contract could really be enforced...it's not like the cake police are patrolling the reception halls to maintain order and justice icon_lol.gif
Even in my case with the FB photo evidence, if I had a signed contract stating that I would be the sole cake provider and then see this, really what would my recourse be? it's not like I have the authority to fine them or something, I mean maybe if my last name was Ben-Israel or something I'd be able to do something...

Agree. I tell my brides I don't allow others sheets with my cakes... but yeah, really... what the heck can I do about it? People are gonna do what they are gonna do.

lynn1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn1968 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 12:29am
post #10 of 14

oh, it's probably an open-and-shut case when they post pics of it on FB, lol. i suppose you could take them to small claims court and seek damages to your reputation or something. a judge might give you damages in the form of the sheet cakes you would have charged, i suppose. dunno....

but, you betcha that bride would be calling you everything but a milk cow to all her friends. maybe that's a good thing, as you wouldn't want people who sided with her as customers anyway, eh? a reasonable person would surmise that maybe since she had a contract that was flagrantly broken, she got what she deserved. still, that's not saying i'd get my wedding cake from that baker, lol.

CakeandDazzle Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:17am
post #11 of 14

take your cake back. no refund.

Corrie76 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 14

I think I'll just be satisfied with being annoyed and venting to all you my dear CC'ers. I read somewhere that if the cake is made and it's paid for and in possesion of the customer, it's their's to do with what they like. Even if that means dropping it off a roof top or setting next to Aunt Sally's hideous sheet cake. I guess at the end of the day, I'd rather have the customer happy with their cake and able to refer others to me than and say what a pleasure I was to work with as opposed to customers spreading the word that I was difficult, had harsh terms and wanting money back from them not following my "rules" after they got their cake. Especially in a small town like mine- having positive word of mouth about your cakes going on is SO important! Of course, I'm still annoyed, but getting it off my chest to all of you has helped so much already- Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 14

Sorry about the sheet cakes ending up ALONG SIDE THE WEDDING CAKE!!! Ugh, can you say tacky?! Those are supposed to be left in the kitchen. Some people have no class I tell ya....

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 14

It was probably pretty clear that the cakes weren't made by the same person, and since people told you they were mad that they got the sheet cake, take it as a compliment that they knew yours was better.

I don't have a sole-provider type clause in my contract, because like other people have said, what are you going to do? Hang around to make sure they don't serve other desserts? It's impractical and pretty unenforceable.

What I do. though, is that I won't do groom's cakes for a wedding if I'm not also doing the wedding cake, unless it's for the rehearsal and I deliver it. That's about as far as I can enforce that kind of thing. I won't do cookies for a reception unless I'm doing the cake either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%