I Can't Make My Cakes 4 Inches! What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By beckyark Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 9:40pm by beckyark

beckyark Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 4

I am fairly new to caking but pretty serious about it. I've put in a pretty large investment already and I'm trying to do a lot of cakes to improve my skills.

That being said, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my cakes 4" tall! I use 2" Magic Line pans, I fill them so that they are the full 2" height. I torte with my Agbay to 7/8" (and then do 3 layers of filling (I do a stiff BC dam with an empty coupler). I also put a ceramic dinner plate on top of the cake to "avoid the bulge" which works really well but sinks my cake even lower.

Anyway, usually I wouldn't care exactly how high my cakes are but I've invested in SPS and can't use it with short cakes! Could it be my recipe? I've done a few different ones with the same results. If it were too tall, no problem I could level the top but it always seems to be just short (3.5" or so, even with icing). The cake IS taller without doing the plate/tile thing but then I'm worried about bulging.

I feel like I'm missing something - I wouldn't think that this would be so hard! icon_rolleyes.gif

3 replies
lyndya Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 4

I use 3" pans, get at least 2 layers from each, greater than an inch each. I can also get 3 layers out of each pan that are less than an inch high, and use 5 for a tier, or all 6 if I want alot of height.

indydebi Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 4

How do you treat your pans (grease? flour? Parchment? grease-and-flour?)

Does the cake rise up at least to the upper edge of the pan or does it have short sides and a high dome?

Do you use baking strips? What is the oven temp?

Here is a link where I show pics of my cakes rising higher than the pan, giving me an exact 2" tall cake every time, so even with settling, I can get a 4" tall cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=334013&highlight=rise+higher

If you still have a problem getting the height you need, I agree with the "use 3" pans" suggestion above. that will give you some extra baking space for the height you're looking for.

beckyark Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for taking the time to answer! My oven temp is always 325. I do not use baking strips but haven't had too much trouble with doming. My cakes do rise above the pan. I think it was Leah S who said she tortes to 7/8" so that's what I was doing since it made sense to me and that leaves 1/4 in for filling (knowing I'd have more than that total). The smooshing thing is throwing me. I guess I could torte right to 1" instead and see where that gets me!

I just thought of something else - I torte my bottom layer to 7/8" including my cardboard circle and that would make a difference too! Whoops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%