How To Stack A Filled Layered Cake? (Help Asap Please!!)

Decorating By AngieLady Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 8:29am by AngieLady

AngieLady Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a red velvet cake with no-bake cheesecake filling for my family for Valentine's Day and need help with flipping the top filled layer. I made a similar cake filled with almost set pudding and had problems keeping the filling inside the cake.

Can I freeze the filled halves and then put them together?
Will they thaw well together?
How long should I freeze to make firm but not solid??

Oh, and I'm out of wax/parchment paper (kids used it in an art project and didn't ask first...)can't get to the store.

I know it's a bunch of questions and kinda late, but my husband has been home for the past two days and my kids can't keep a secret to save their lives. Any help would be Great! Thanks!

6 replies
wiggler Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 7

I have my first ever red velvet cake in the oven at the moment. THE recipe says to freeze the cakes for a half an hour before frosting , Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

AngieLady Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 7

My box didn't have that on it. And anything helps at this point. I'm waiting for the eggs to warm up before I start mine. but if I don't get anything saying otherwise I'll try it. THANKS!!! icon_biggrin.gif

wiggler Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 7

The cakes are just out of the oven and smell great . Hope my hubbie will be impressed tomorrow. The recipe is one from Cake Boss in Oprah magazine, you can see it on line . GOOD LUCK . let me know how you get on thumbs_up.gif

leily Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 7

i'm confused on why you're filling your top layer and then putting it on the bottom layer. and why it's getting flipped?

I have two 2" layers that i torte (so i have 4 approximately 1" tall layers) I start at the bottom and put one layer then filling, add another layer then filling, add another layer and filling and finally the 4th layer. So i don't have to move any cake around that already has filling in it.

Maybe i'm missing something in your post? I am a little sleep deprived after only a couple hours last night b/c two sick kiddos keeping me up.

indydebi Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 7

working with partially frozen cakes is easier, but I'm with leily .... you shouldn't be "flipping" the top cake onto the bottom cake.

Long long ago in a galaxy many decades away, I managed to do every wedding cake by flipping the big 14 or 16" layer onto the bottom layer. Bear in mind, there was no you-tube, no cable tv, no michael's classes, nothing. Every cake was done on "a wing and a prayer". gawd, I HATED this part of making cakes! icon_cry.gif

EVENTUALLY ....... ! i figured out to flip the cake between 2 cooling racks then I could just slide the top layer off of the cooling rack and onto the bottom layer.

Working with partially frozen cakes, I can just pick up even a 14" round and place it on top of the bottom layer. It's not totally frozen ... just enough to firm it up while working wiht it.

AngieLady Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:29am
post #7 of 7

I partially froze both layers after they were filled and was able to flip the top one without any problems, but I flipped the top filled onto the bottom filled for one simple reason.... The picture one the box for the cake mold pans had the filling as the center of the cake not as two seperate layers..... icon_biggrin.gif. I thought that's how I was supposed to do it... icon_redface.gif maybe I'll try the other way next time for S&Gs but I dunno.. It worked out ok though I hope it tastes better than it looks, I lost my other tips for the iceing so I had to make do with the one that looks like I wrote with licorice. whatever, the dots look like carnations so I'm happy. Thanks everyone and happy V-Day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%