Securing Real Ribbon Around Cake....

Decorating By peachspider Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 5:42am by peachspider

peachspider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachspider Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:54am
post #1 of 8

I was wondering if there's any best ways to secure real ribbon around a cake. For fondant cake, I use dabs of royal icing, but for BC cake, I have problem with the shortening in BC staining the ribbon. I've tried rapping acetate strip around the bottom under the real ribbon, but I'm just wondering if there's better way of doing this. Thanks for your suggestions.

7 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:05am
post #2 of 8

You can use the doubleface tape that is found in the scrapbooking department. Try using wax paper under the ribbon that is going over buttercream.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 8

you can melt down a little fondant with a few drops of water in the microwave for 8 secs ( no more it burns ) give it a stir if it is too thick add a little more boiling water to it drop by drop . I use a small paintbrush to apply this sparingly to the cake where you want the ribbon adhered to. it is also great for adding fondant side designs or securing flowers. I don't thin it down so much if I am securing flowers . Can also be used to stick body parts together in models . If it hardens just reheat for a further 8 seconds and stir again.

It doesn't stain the ribbon

peachspider Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you, dsilvest and Chellescakes. Those are great ideas! I'll surely give them a try!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 8

Iron the ribbon with wax paper. The wax will adhere to the ribbon and will create a barrier between the bc and ribbon.

bakeshop92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeshop92 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:20am
post #6 of 8

I used to spread crisco on both sides of ribbon and then wipe off excess with a paper towel but it was such a messy job. Now i spray both sides of the ribbon with Pam spray and it works perfect. Ribbon sometimes gets a shade darker but it's still better than having grease spots on the ribbon.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 8

I read on here to use packing tape. I lined the ribbon with clear packing tape, but it along the one edge so you wouldn't see the ribbon and it went on the cooled buttercream cake very well. I will be doing this in the future, cheap and fast!

peachspider Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:42am
post #8 of 8

These are really great suggestions! I'm taking notes to try them all! Thank you all for your help! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%