Smoothing Bc

Decorating By cshelz Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm by cshelz

cshelz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cshelz Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:39am
post #1 of 8

does everyone use Viva for smoothing BC? I still hot knife and I really need to change. Just hate change. lol

7 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #2 of 8

I only use the Melvira method. It uses a high density foam roller. Go to Articles and Search Melvira it should come up.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:03am
post #3 of 8

I just started using the Viva technique about 5 months ago, and after 15 years of doing things the same old way...I became an immediate convert! I want to try the Melvira technique too, just to see, this is why I enjoy CC so much... I feel like I've had a whole new world opened up to me of cool things to try and great ideas from all you other cakers icon_biggrin.gif

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:08am
post #4 of 8

I cannot get my buttercream smooth. I try the hot spatula and know I will get it with time - but I want to paper towel it up!!! Do I use a buttercream that's too soft perhaps? Even when crusted it sticks and doesn't smooth. I use 1 stick butter, 1 stick shortening, 4 cups sugar and no milk. Sometimes flavouring. Should I use 2 sticks shortening instead?

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:14am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I only use the Melvira method. It uses a high density foam roller. Go to Articles and Search Melvira it should come up.

I tired this method a while back. Found the high density foam rollers at Lowe's, but no matter how long I let the icing crust [and even chill] the roller left a rough sorta texture on the icing.

I know it's like all techniques...what works for one person may not for another.....I am still better with a spakling knife and angled spatula.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

I cannot get my buttercream smooth. I try the hot spatula and know I will get it with time - but I want to paper towel it up!!! Do I use a buttercream that's too soft perhaps? Even when crusted it sticks and doesn't smooth. I use 1 stick butter, 1 stick shortening, 4 cups sugar and no milk. Sometimes flavouring. Should I use 2 sticks shortening instead?

The absolute key to any crusting recipe is to add ANY sort of liquid, that is why your icing is not crusting. You can make your current recipe crusting just by adding 1/4 cup of milk (or water, or ameretto, or half'n'half, or a flavored creamer, or kool-aid, or fruit juice.......) and X-tra powdered sugar to get the right consistency and viola! crusting will happen icon_smile.gif

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 8

I swear by the Melvira method. Can't live without it.

cshelz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cshelz Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 8

Wow thanks for all the replies! I will have to give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%