Support For A 4 Tier Wedding Cake

Decorating By bakingmommaTX Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 6:45am by bakingmommaTX

bakingmommaTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmommaTX Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:14am
post #1 of 6

Well, I have a quick question regarding the stacking of a 4 Tier Cake, I have stacked a 3 Tier before and had no problems but I am scared of a 4....lol. I normally use the wooden dowels, but just wanted to be sure that I am right in doing so. Obviously each cake would have individual support then I was going to use one down the middle of the entire cake. Does that sound about right. Thank you. I love doing cakes and have been doing so for a few years now but this is my first really big onee. 14, 12, 10, and 8 incher. =) icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:31am
post #2 of 6

I had a wedding cake partially collapse using wooden dowels and I will never use them again. I recommend SPS, but if you can't get a hold of them, then at least use the Wilton hollow plastic dowels. The hollow plastic dowels provide MUCH more stability for your cake than those skinny wooden dowels. I also like that they can be cut to any size, unlike SPS.

SPS instructions
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=603925&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Good luck!

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:45am
post #3 of 6

On my 4 tier wedding cake I made for my daughter's wedding, I used the hollow plastic dowels. I transported the tiers supportly and stacked on site. I don't think I would try transporting this large a cake, but that is just my thoughts. I tend to want to go the safe route when transporting such an important cake. I put the larger cake on my covered cake board and the other three were transported in a larger Rubbermaid container with non-skid foam underneath to keep them from sliding. When I got on site I simply stacked. I also did this with my niece's 4 tier. I really like the hollow plastic tubes.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:10am
post #4 of 6

I've done 2 4-tier cakes using Cake Jacks. I love them because you don't have to cut them to get them to the right size (you turn them like a screw instead). When using them, I always assemble onsite. However, I have ordered SPS for a 3-tier cake I'm doing in a couple of weeks.

I think from reading lots of threads on CC, there is no "right" method for stacking. Some use dowels, others use the hollow tubes, another uses SPS and someone else uses bubble tea straws. You have to use what works best for you. For example, I know that I stink at cutting dowels properly/evenly, which is really important to make sure your cake is level. So I never use dowels. Hope this makes sense. Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:36am
post #5 of 6

I'm a wooden dowels kind of gal, but on a 4-tier, i tended to use the hollow dowels (mentioned above) in the bottom tier simply because of the extra weight. I'd also assemble on-site. (carrying a 3 tier cake is heavy .... not even going to try a 4-tier!) icon_biggrin.gif

bakingmommaTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmommaTX Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:45am
post #6 of 6

Thank you guys so very much, your suggestions and help make it clear really. I will be using the bigger hollow dowels or the sps for sure. Appreciate you guys taking the time to lend me an ear!! thumbs_up.gif You guys ROCK!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%