Need Help Figuring This Out.

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 11:08pm by Rose_N_Crantz

bostonterrierlady Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 2

So I made a cake for a party for tonight for some friends 50th anniversary. When we get there with the cake we take it out of the box the icing is cracking. My icing was bulging. I hate crusting buttercream. What happened? It was a 3 tier. Center dowel. Bubble Tea Straws. I tried to make it a crusting icing that would just barely crust. I get it on thick enough so there will be no shadows or crumbs. I have Sharons butercream dvd. I just do not get it. My shell borders had pulled away. I did my best to repair with hot water a a little spatula. I try to follow the concepts of Sharons Buttercream Dvd. But for some reason it just does not work for me. Can anyone help me.? I do this for a hobby, but I have made cakes since I was a teenager and I am 51. I may not keep on I am so discouraged right now. I used half Crisco half Sweetex. Creamer mixture. Flavorings and powdered sugar. I used extra fat and creamer because I did not want a lot of crust. I would sure appreciate your help.

1 reply
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 2

Well, I know to fix bulges you can poke a tiny hole at an angle with a toothpick and then press the air out. The pressing would reseal the hole. Which tier was bulging?

What kind of filling did you use? Did you let it settle with a weight on it over night? I don't have much experience with tiered cakes, I just did my first 3 tier last week, but it seems to me that bubble tea straws wouldn't be enough for 3 tiers. Perhaps you needed something a little stronger. Of course I don't know where the bulging was occurring, so that might not be the issue.

Would you by any chance have a picture? I'm not sure what you mean by the shell borders pulling away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%