Turning 18--Hot Pink & Black

Decorating By KonfectionKonnection Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 4:29am by StacyN

KonfectionKonnection Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 8

Need a few suggestions, please! I need to do a cake for a friend's niece who is turning 18. The only requirements I've been given is it needs to feed approx 30 guests, w/ the colors hot pink and black, due Fri.

Normally, I love the cakes where I get to do what I want--I always have techniques and ideas I want to try--but I worry about the turning 18 part. Since I only do cakes for friends and family, and don't really know the birthday girl--I feel a little out of touch w/ what might be popular w/ the younger crowd right now.

Any suggestions would be great! (I would normally do flowers, but I think she may be a bit of a "tom-boy" type.) TIA!

7 replies
tmgarcia_98 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 8

Zebra print is usually pretty popular, maybe add in a hot pink bow and a gumpaste "18" topper.

King-Girlz Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 8

I agree...zebra print..hot pink!! Always looks great in any photos I have seen on CC!

leily Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:49am
post #4 of 8

here is one i did for a 27th golden birthday.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 3:57am
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone! I was just worried I might not get it right, and an 18th birthday should be special. You've given me some good ideas to work with and I feel a little more confident now. Thanks again!

Corrie76 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:05am
post #6 of 8

I made a cake recently for an 18th b-day and they had same request pink and black. I ended up doing a zebra print too.

sebrina Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:20am
post #7 of 8

My DD is fixing to turn 16 & I do a lot of teen cakes. Here's what we have come up with in hot pink & black. But FYI, they either love the zebra, or they hate it. Some of the kids feel like it has been played out. You might want to check first. HTH!

StacyN Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:29am
post #8 of 8

I keep seeing a lot of skulls with bows on in hot pink and black on my friends daughters who are in high school. That might work if she is a tom boy because its still girly in the colors but not the theme. Can you ask her what she would like?

Quote by @%username% on %date%