Yellow Butter Cake - Cake Love Texture Question....

Lounge By kimkake Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm by LindaF144a

kimkake Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 3

I just tried Warren Brown's Cake Love - Yellow Butter Cake recipe for the second time and I am getting a very chewy texture - is this right? I know it's a sponge cake - but not sure if it should actually be chewy. Also - my scale isn't working (need to get a digital one) so when he calls for 2oz of potato starch - does anyone have an estimate of how many TBS. or cup measurement this should be - the cocoa is 1/2 C for 2oz - but liquid measure is 1/2 C. Anyone who has tried this recipe give me some advise please??

2 replies
DMJ69 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 10:41am
post #2 of 3

I have tried a couple of his recipes. They are ok, but not for me. However I started removing a 1/4 cup of flour in my recipes and adding 1/4 cup of potato starch in it's place. I have found that by doing this my cakes turn out with a much better crumb. I know that a 1/4 cup of potato starch is 1 1/2 oz. I would say 1/3 cup of potato starch would be 2 oz.

LindaF144a Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 3

Why do you consider this a sponge cake? It is in his book under butter cakes. I don't have the recipe memorized, but I believe a sponge cake has no fat in it and this one definitely does.

What kind of flour and what kind of starch? I have made this several times and it always gets rave reviews. Great cake, but not so much for cupcakes IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%