Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By AKeck19 Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 7:37pm by anricat

AKeck19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKeck19 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 18

I've bought a couple brands of pre made fondant from craft stores, and have now resorted just making my own. although, coloring my fondant gets to be a real pain and some days it works better than others.

the first brand ended up being really hard and practically inedible. The second was Duff's fondant. I liked the way it rolled out and handled but it ended up being chewy :/ i've been looking into Satin Ice and was wondering if anyone uses this and how the fondant is to handle and if it ends up chewy or hard like the other pre made fondants i've tried.

thank you icon_smile.gif

17 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 18

I like Satin Ice, and I've tried others (Fondarrific and Pettinice). It will harden with no problem.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 18

I use PettinIce adn SatinIce and like both. Satin is easier to work with, asPrttin is very soft.

Fondant is *supposed* to be chewy.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 18

I've only used the black Satin Ice and had lots of problems with it ripping and elephant skin. I've bought some red to try, but haven't tried it yet. I'm going to order a couple of different brands and give them a try.

kc03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kc03 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:57am
post #5 of 18

I love the satin ice. But, I always mix whatever color if it with the white, equal parts. It works better for me.

Rainyvv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainyvv Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:31am
post #6 of 18

I used RED Satin Ice for the first time yesterday and did not like it. I got elephant skin and it got so hard the edges cracked off. I don't know if the white would eliminate these problems.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:02am
post #7 of 18

Love my Satin Ice..........and if you're going to try it, nows the time. It's on sale this month at Global Sugar Art.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:29am
post #8 of 18

I have problems with Satin Ice being dry and elephant skin.

kc03 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 18

I had problems with it being dry and cracking too. I had a decorator friend of mine tell me to mix the white with it. Once I started to mix the white with it, it solved the problem.

mrsfoxxy2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfoxxy2u Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 18

I swear by fondarific...it's a little pricey compared to compeetors, but if you have a tax id for a business you get a discount! everything else i used got hard and cracked when they were colors (especially deep ones) but fondaric really held up to many challenges and never got super hard or cracked. oh and just a little fyi duff is fondarific, he slapped his name on and jacked up the price even higher! but it is fondarific, and all fondants are chewy, its something you have to deal with for the wonderful look they produce. most people peel it off or some eat it! my kids LOVE the stuff, they beg for the scraps after i am done a cake!!! lol good luck! icon_smile.gif

FayMakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FayMakesCakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 18

I use Satin Ice. I almost always mix in white with the other colors and I never had a problem with elephant skin. I also mix in a bit of shortening before I roll it out and don't roll on cornstarch so that might help.

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 18

Some of Duff's fondant is Satin Ice depending on where the supplier purchased it.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 18

does mixing white into the colored fondant dilute the color any?

AKeck19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKeck19 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 10:56pm
post #14 of 18

i'm making a cake for my sisters birthday and it will include the colors white, black, and pink. i'm gonna try satin ice and see how i like it icon_smile.gif never know unless you try.

and when you mix in white with the color is it just 50/50, and if i do that with black will it turn grey?

kc03 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 18

I mix the white probably 40/60. Although it will change the color a wee bit, its not enough to really notice.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm
post #16 of 18

So the only issues with Satin Ice are with the colored fondant? Not the white?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:22pm
post #17 of 18

I was a sole user of Satin Ice. It worked great, never had a problem with it and tasted decent. But then something happened. I dont know if they changed their formula or what but for the past year, I end up throwing away half of it because it doesnt work right. Ive worked with fondant long enough to know what and what not to do so its not that. It was pitting, drying out way too fast and cracking. It looked horrible! I would have to redo cakes several times before it would look right. So I gave up. I bought the Fondx and it works well for me. I wish it came in bigger buckets but what can you do?! I even tried to go back to Satin Ice a few weeks ago and had the same problems again. So I wont be buying it anymore. Pettnice is ok too. Its a little expensive though. The fondarific and Duff brand is ok but very expensive. I had to make an item that was black and used Duff's fondant and tylose. It was two days and it wouldnt dry out at all!! So not good for that sort of thing!!

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:37pm
post #18 of 18

I've only used it once. I used the purple. It was fine, but I for sure prefer just to make my own using Michele Foster's recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%